PDA

View Full Version : Apple to be sued by Beatles over the iPod, iTunes and Apple ...

MacBytes
Mar 16, 2004, 03:03 PM
Category: News and Press Releases
Link: Apple to be sued by Beatles over the iPod, iTunes and Apple Music. (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20040316160317)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by arn

michaelrjohnson
Mar 16, 2004, 03:22 PM
uh, old news?

didn't we know this already?

Mar 16, 2004, 03:26 PM
Category: News and Press Releases
Link: Apple to be sued by Beatles over the iPod, iTunes and Apple Music. (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20040316160317)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by arn

Really?

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,97064,00.html

1macker1
Mar 16, 2004, 03:55 PM
Damn I didnt know they had already been sued and lost. WTF are they (Apple) thinking. Sheesh, if they got money to throw away, send me a few million.

winmacguy
Mar 16, 2004, 03:56 PM
I still think the whole deal is a pointless irrelevant exercise except for the amount of money to be involved. Who of the current generation of music users would associate the Apple logo of Apple Corps and the Beatles with the Apple Logo of Apple Computer. I could understand if it was blatant,obvious and current usage of the logo that directly ripped off the Beatles who would have to be still producing new hits as the Fab Four similar to the recent rip off of the bPod software in the UK ripping of the iPod. The Beatles have not produced any NEW music other than rehased versions or previously unreleased stuff.

At the end of the day it all comes down to which legal team can come up with the best most convincing load of BS to win the legal debate, as there is no such thing as RIGHT or WRONG when it comes to legalities.

If a burglar can sue his victims for injuring himself when he falls thru their glass coffee table while robbing the victims house and the burglar gets compensated for "Loss of earnings" or some rubbish then as has happened in the US then surely Apple Computer can Win against Apple Corps. (not that I am calling Apple Computer a burglar, i am just saying that is how screwed up the interpretation of the law is)

ALoLA
Mar 16, 2004, 05:57 PM
Apple Computer is not a music company. They don't produce or distribute (as a label) any music. Case closed. Apple Corps. is just trying to steal what they can before they disappear into oblivion. :mad:

Stella
Mar 16, 2004, 06:16 PM
Beatles music are good.

However, Apple corp are just gold digging wankers hoping to earn a few Pounds from Apple's Computers success.

Hopefully, the courts will realize the distance between computers and media have blurred significantly. If apple lost this case, then there business could be significantly damaged -what if Apple corp wanted an injunction stating that Apple Computers shouldn't market music related products such as iTunes and iPod.

Photorun
Mar 16, 2004, 06:16 PM
Apple Corp needs to go away, maybe Jobs needs to send his black helicopters over to jolly old England to make some brit lawyers swim with some fishies.

TwitchOSX
Mar 16, 2004, 07:21 PM
The only reason that Apple Corps is still around is because they get to sue Apple Computer every decade and get a load of money. But this is just wrong. They sued Apple Computer the first time because Apple put SPEAKERS on the computer. WTF? How did they win that one?

Apple Computer should just buy Apple Corps =) Beatles music is such crap IMO, and only what.. 2 of the original Beatles are left? How can the 2 Beatles left allow thier crappy distribution company to sue Apple Computer? Apple Computer is re-vamping the music industry for the better. Steve Jobs loves the Beatles. How can they be so heartless and pathetic?

Steve Jobs should just sell one of his Jets and buy Apple Corps and then he can put the Beatles music on iTMS =)

winmacguy
Mar 16, 2004, 09:32 PM
The only reason that Apple Corps is still around is because they get to sue Apple Computer every decade and get a load of money. But this is just wrong. They sued Apple Computer the first time because Apple put SPEAKERS on the computer. WTF? How did they win that one?

Apple Computer should just buy Apple Corps =) Beatles music is such crap IMO, and only what.. 2 of the original Beatles are left? How can the 2 Beatles left allow thier crappy distribution company to sue Apple Computer? Apple Computer is re-vamping the music industry for the better. Steve Jobs loves the Beatles. How can they be so heartless and pathetic?

Steve Jobs should just sell one of his Jets and buy Apple Corps and then he can put the Beatles music on iTMS =)

I refer back to my original post. The lawyer who can come up with the most convincing load of BS can win the argument regardless of whether they are actually right or relevant.

Sabenth
Mar 16, 2004, 10:02 PM
i Aint any legal egg head but theres a good point to be made here and i stand on the grounds that!!!! apple is selling music via iTunes for the record labels which in easance sort of makes them a distrabution label. Given the fact that apple computers made an agreement that they would have nothing to do with Music distuatbution i say there Fcked up big time but hell iTunes is fantastic if you can download and get stuff from the site....

as for the fab four /2 well what do you excpet they need to pay off there debts :D seeming jacko bought all there music or what ever it is he bought

rjwill246
Mar 17, 2004, 09:38 AM
The lawyer who can come up with the most convincing load of BS can win the argument regardless of whether they are actually right or relevant.

This is the case, indeed. Apple, though, has at least one thing going for it here and that is that Macs have been released with speakers, CD players/burners, the ability to record and transmit music to and from the Internet for a long time and Apple Corp did not act on this. Any claim is weakened if the supposed offense has been allowed to continue without protest: the longer that time interval, the weaker the claim(assuming that the supposed offence was obvious to the supposed grieved party- and in this case Apple Corp could NOT have been unaware of what Apple was doing. Their earlier lawsuits prove that. So, this time Apple Corp might not have much of a case: they have acted rather late. If they do win, the actions Apple might have to take could be horrendous. Can't sell computers with any ability to handle music!!!!! Obviously Apple woud pay Apple Corp to let them (they would really have no other choice) but what a dastardly bunch they would be/are at Apple Corp if they forced Apple Computer into such a position.

msconvert
Mar 17, 2004, 01:03 PM
Does anybody know the current value of Apple Corp? I can't even google Apple Corp to get their info, they are lost in the noise.

I realize that the last settlement was somewhere around $45 million (small compared to either company), but might it not be advantageous for Apple Computer Inc to outright buy Apple Corp. Ltd. and be done with the issue?