PDA

View Full Version : Jobs acknowledges iTunes won't reach 100 Million

MacBytes
Mar 16, 2004, 03:03 PM
Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: Jobs acknowledges iTunes won\'t reach 100 Million (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20040316160359)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by arn

0 and A ai
Mar 16, 2004, 03:16 PM
makes sense i don't see how people were seeing that apple was gonna sell 50 million songs in 6 weeks including pepsi redemption.

1macker1
Mar 16, 2004, 03:43 PM
Yeah this isn't a surprise.

wordmunger
Mar 16, 2004, 03:46 PM
The real news in the article is that Pepsi redemptions have been disappointing. Some had speculated that the contest redemptions would make up for the gap between the ~65 million projected by April 28 and the 100 million goal.

gerlitzappel
Mar 16, 2004, 03:47 PM
Come on people, buy some iTunes! I just bought Jimi Hendrix Are You Experienced, 17 songs for $9.99. We can help them hit 100 Million by then.

Vonnie
Mar 16, 2004, 04:47 PM
Come on people, buy some iTunes! I just bought Jimi Hendrix Are You Experienced, 17 songs for $9.99. We can help them hit 100 Million by then.

Well, if the itunes music store was available in Europe...

redAPPLE
Mar 16, 2004, 04:49 PM
new headlines!

The Reason Why Apple Won't Hit 100 Mio. Until April!

...is because they are still only available to the u. s. of a.

(this statement is not intended to spurn another debate why iTMS is still not available in canada or somewhere else).

ITR 81
Mar 16, 2004, 05:09 PM
So Jobs says they expect to sell 70-75 million by the end of April. Now Pepsi expected to have around 30 million caps redeemed by the end of April.

So we could still see a high 80-90 million mark by the end of April.

All this means Apple will sell a 100 million by the end of May...big whoop.

Also if HP starts selling computers with iTunes already pre-loaded could this give a small boost to the final figure? Maybe

winmacguy
Mar 16, 2004, 05:37 PM
The real news in the article is that Pepsi redemptions have been disappointing. Some had speculated that the contest redemptions would make up for the gap between the ~65 million projected by April 28 and the 100 million goal.

Judging by all the reports I read i would say that
The ad was a bit too subtle for a lot of viewers so they missed the point (the PC users that the ad was aimed at)

Pepsi's logistical planning appears to leave a lot to be desired as they didnt appear to have all stores US wide cleared of stocks from previous promotions prior to the arrrival of the Pepsi/iTunes promo.

ALoLA
Mar 16, 2004, 06:13 PM
And while they report that Apple fails to hit 100 million by a month or two (although personally, I think they'll make it :)), they're all congratulating Napster for just hitting 5 million at a $15 million loss. Go figure. :rolleyes:

0 and A ai
Mar 16, 2004, 06:29 PM
Sorry i'm not giving apple money just to give it money.

0 and A ai
Mar 16, 2004, 06:30 PM
And while they report that Apple fails to hit 100 million by a month or two (although personally, I think they'll make it :)), they're all congratulating Napster for just hitting 5 million at a $15 million loss. Go figure. :rolleyes:

lol only a 15 million dollar loss? they wish!

azdude
Mar 17, 2004, 12:01 AM
If everyone went out and bought this album (http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?playlistId=3986385), we'd be at 100 Million songs in no time!!! :D

C'mon... $0.10 a track?!?!?

Awimoway
Mar 17, 2004, 12:34 AM

I'd love to. But the local bottler has preempted the iTunes promo with some lameass LA Lakers thing. :mad:

You would think Pepsi could keep the constituent members of their company on the same page. So I'm not sure who they have to blame for the promo lackluster results, but they might start with themselves. :rolleyes:

gerlitzappel
Mar 17, 2004, 02:17 AM
I'd love to. But the local bottler has preempted the iTunes promo with some lameass LA Lakers thing. :mad:

You would think Pepsi could keep the constituent members of their company on the same page. So I'm not sure who they have to blame for the promo lackluster results, but they might start with themselves. :rolleyes:

You end up spending more cash by buying the Pepsi anyway, just buy the tunes.

Savage Henry
Mar 17, 2004, 02:45 AM
With the recent 50 mil figure not including the Pepsi redemptions, I don't think that's too bad.

Sure, had Pepsi done thier job properly and Europe iTMS been given a couple of months to live, then Apple may have only been short by a few million. But 6 weeks to go and SJ admitting the gap already, I think we'll be looking at a 30 mil gap minimum by April's end.