Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Epicc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2009
Alright, I was using my LoD CD in my laptop the other day, when I realized the power cord had been twisted and began sparking. Of course, base gamer instinct "Oh well, Take out the cord and play for as long as possible!".
Well, once my battery had run dry, and my game had ended, I realized that I need to get the CD from inside my battery-dead laptop. The charger should come in about 3 weeks, but what addicted gamer wants to wait 3 weeks to play their game?
None of them :p

ON TO THE POINT,
I need to figure out a way to possibly mimic the CD in my Mac OS X. I'm missing a few MPQ files, as I didn't do the full install ..
I've been told that I can create Disk Images for the CD for old games like Diablo II LoD, but is that possible without having the Game CD handy?
If so, please enlighten me.

I've also downloaded D2 Loader, but of course, it's an .exe file, and Macs aren't too friendly to those.
I'm also missing all my Windows software, so I can't really do the whole Boot Camp thing with my Mac to run D2 Loader.

Any ideas at all, oh brilliant people of the Mac Forums?

imassents

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2008
Without the game CD you're kinda stuck, you need the files on it to have it run without the CD. The only real option you have left is to go to
http://www.blizzard.com/account
and make a new account. From here you can enter your CDKeys (you still have them right?) in the Games section. Once done, Blizzard allows you to download the entire thing. If you are playing LoD, you will need to download both Diablo and the expansion as the digital downloads do not install correctly with the CD installers.

If you can rely on others, you can borrow the missing CD. Then just patch to the latest version from here to enable the no-cd patch
http://us.blizzard.com/support/article.xml?articleId=20758
You must copy all the missing .mpq files from the CDs into the Diablo directory for it to work.

Epicc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2009
:D YAY.
Thanks man, I didn't know I could do that :p

One last question, is there a possible way I can just download the Digital CD for Diablo II, or do I have to re-download the whole entire thing?

imassents

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2008
Nah you need to get it all :( That's what I meant by this part of my post. They don't mix at all.
If you are playing LoD, you will need to download both Diablo and the expansion as the digital downloads do not install correctly with the CD installers.
It's either all digital or all CD, not a mix of both.

Epicc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2009
So I'm guessing I should just scrap all my D2 files and go with the digital installer?

imassents

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2008
Yeah pretty much. Back up any save files you have first though - they are in the save folder (obviously =) ).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.