Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tokiopop

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 6, 2008
West Yorkshire, UK
If you're like me, and you love your homebrew and Nintendo, you will be delighted to hear about AceKart! You'll also be pleased to hear that Moonshell (homebrew media player for DS) works on this too. And because it will work with almost any MicroSD card (yes, including SDHC), you can have up to 32 gigs of music, video, and homebrew all on your DS!

AceKart is basically like all the other Flash Cards for the DS, but this one will now work on the new DSi.

The DSi is onkly out in Japan at the moment, but upon Europe release I will defiantly be getting one of these. No going back to the Lite and R4 for when I want my DSLinux :cool:

Tokiopop

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 6, 2008
West Yorkshire, UK
I hope this is to play homebrew and not to simply pirate games.

Well, a lot of people will be pirating games. I'm not sure if this one lets you put games on, but I'm pretty sure it will. Useful if you want to put games on you already own instead of carrying them around with you, bad if people will up Micro SD cards with ROMs. Can't wait until I get to play my Rubix Cube game on the DSi! :D

Edit: It's kinda like Jailbreak on iPhone/iPod Touch. You can use it for apps/homebrew we're not allowed to have, but they can also be used for piracy.

Tokiopop

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 6, 2008
West Yorkshire, UK
Oh, of course. Backing up something you paid for, that sounds like something that should be made illegal. Stupid unreasonable... *mumbles*

Ah well, back to the primitive days of carrying around games.

Edit: WAIT WAIT WAIT. I'm damn sure if you convert your game into a ROM, for your use only, that it is legal. Or am I mistaken?

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Edit: WAIT WAIT WAIT. I'm damn sure if you convert your game into a ROM, for your use only, that it is legal. Or am I mistaken?

You are mistaken, Jimmi is spot on. Any sort of backup is against the EULA.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Lemmings DS was very ace and I'm surprised Rockstar didn't release a 1:1 port of the original themselves. That's the only DS homebrew I play now... Since Cavestory DS has been stopped (still got the PSP one though).

Chone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2006
No you didn't, because any form of backup breaks Nintendo's EULA.

This is once again an example of something that's illegal but misconstrued to be legal because it's moral and there's really nothing wrong with it.

Tokiopop

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 6, 2008
West Yorkshire, UK
You know how game disks usually say "Do not copy"? That mean DO NOT COPY, for whatever reason you have.

The only disk that I have that says 'Please do not copy' is Windows 2000, but I scribbled it out because, well, it's Windows. :p

But I've done some research, and it appears in America backing up your games IS illegal, but in other places it's perfectly legal to dump your ROMs for your own use. Do you save music off the album you bought onto your computer? Yes, you do. In my eyes doing it with games is just the same. Besides, they're not losing money from me backing what I paid for up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.