Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DELINDA

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 13, 2008
Can you tell why I can't use the clone tool on the same image as the patch tool ? The patch will work but the clone will not . There are no other layers . Only the locked background . I unlocked but that did not help . Opacity and flow are at 100% . Image has not been sized . What am I doing wrong . Also , can the patch be controlled for horizontal & vertical line . A square or retangle would be nice . Thanks

Lovesong

macrumors 65816
It might be useful if you mentioned what software you were using.

If you are talking about PS, then one possible reason why you can use both is that you have an area selected, which means that you can only do adjustments in it.

DELINDA

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 13, 2008
clone & patch tool

I am using PS3 . What I am seeing is , patch tool will move what I want to where I want it . Clone leaves a noise like transparent cover . Nothing has been selected . I even tried a layer and had the same results . I did at one time turn this image into a line drawing , but I can't see this causing me a problem . I am back to the original so there should not be an issue with a once worked image , am I right ? Thanks . Also , can you make straight lines using patch , or even a 30 degree line that is straight ?

Lovesong

macrumors 65816
Alright from the bottom:

Yes, you can patch and clone at 0, 90, and 45 degrees (just hold down shift as you're doing it).

Second of all, define "noise-like transparent cover": is it more like a smudge?
One thing I can think of is that you might be in a different mode. Up at the top, next to the brush size and opacity, there is a box that says mode. Make sure it says 'normal'.

In terms of the line art, yeah you can't edit vector graphics until you have converted them to pixels. Once they're there, you should be able to work on them as usual.

DELINDA

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 13, 2008
clone & patch tool

To best define noise , all I can say is that if you where to airbrush an image using White paint with a coarse dot(spray) you can still see the image . The clone tool does not delete what is being cloned . Normal is set . I am using an apple if that helps and the shift key will not allow me to make straight lines . This is not the first time I have used these tools . This image baffles me . I did resolve one problem . It was the date / time I was trying to clone out and ran into these other things . I can't clone out D/T . But I can clone D/T elsewhere in the image . Its a learning thing , it to shall be solved . It will take time and patience .

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.