Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vw1300

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 31, 2008
The local Apple Store recently replaced the logic board and power supply for my G5 iMac. Today I tried to load the system restore disc to re-install the OS etc. in an effort to prepare it to sell (I want to have all my data gone).

I put in the disc. The computer took the disc but it never showed up on the desktop or finder. And yes, my system preferences are set to open a finder window when a CD or DVD is put in the drive. Ejecting it became a challenge. I tried holding down the mouse button while booting, and booting into the open firmware (got an error message when I typed "eject cd"). Resetting the PRAM failed to help. The only thing that worked was to jam a credit card in the slot and stop the disc from spinning, and the machine spit it out. I tried this with another disc, and the same thing happened, so it's the machine or software here.

Does anyone have any other ideas to get the mac to recognize a disc? What do I do now?

Thanks in advance,

Charlie

oneEG6

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2008
Take it back to that Apple store, let them know what happened. Since you just had it repaired there's a decent chance you can get them to help you with this issue. Unless they forgot to plug a cable in or something, it's likely a failed drive.

vw1300

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 31, 2008
OK, it looks like I have to take it in anyway - now it won't boot either, it gets stuck at the gray apple screen. After about 30 seconds, the fan kicks on high.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.