Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jgbhardy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 15, 2008
England
I bought this White Macbook in late August 08 whilst on holiday in America and was leaving the next day, when i got home after all the excitement i noticed that my screen had strange mark on it thinking it was just finger marks or something i got the apple cleaning cloth out and tried cleaning it, but to no avail! I've tried many different screen cleaning wipes and it still wont come off! any idea's what it is? (I've Attached a Photo)
Ok so i put up with the screen defect for a while not noticeably all the time but still visible. About late September of early October I started noticing the side part of the casing near the I/Os between the two screws was dipping, the case was loose and when you pushed on the side it would go all the way under the palmrest. again i've attached a photo but it was hard to show it whilst taking a photo.
And now the one problem that has plagued a lot of plastic Macbooks is the splitting case, mine hasn't yet but its dam close, the palm rest area has started to raise and showing signs that it may crack. they is also a small hairline crack just above the IR Receiver. again attached photos below.

Any advice as to what i should do, or whether im just being sceptic?
Thanks

I would like to add that this Macbook is mainly used on a desk and when ever taken anywhere else i use a laptop case which has a foam padding, it's an incase if anyone is interested.

Attachments

• IMG_3536.JPG
    IMG_3536.JPG
    174.2 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_3515.JPG
    IMG_3515.JPG
    179.3 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_3528.JPG
    IMG_3528.JPG
    187.7 KB · Views: 74

Snide

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2005
The mark on the screen is from the "space" key from the keyboard.
I was surprised as well. Apparently the case can flex enough to allow the
keys to contact the screen, leaving permanent marks. Use a screen protector
cloth before it gets worse (trust me, it will).

jgbhardy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 15, 2008
England
The mark on the screen is from the "space" key from the keyboard.
I was surprised as well. Apparently the case can flex enough to allow the
keys to contact the screen, leaving permanent marks. Use a screen protector
cloth before it gets worse (trust me, it will).

Its not the space bar i done a few measurements, and the mark correlates to the small strip between the trackpad and where it dips down into the keyboard. Bu this problem was there since I got it and I can't get rid of it have tried so many things.

danvan21

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2008
Yea, this happened to me. I brought it it and they replaced the entire topcase. It went away then.

drlunanerd

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2004
Its not the space bar i done a few measurements, and the mark correlates to the small strip between the trackpad and where it dips down into the keyboard. Bu this problem was there since I got it and I can't get rid of it have tried so many things.

Really sorry to hear this. But you should have taken it back to Apple straight away, they're unlikely to do anything about the screen scratch now.

They should however fix your top case. Call Apple or go into an Apple Store and get it sorted.

jgbhardy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 15, 2008
England
Thanks hopefully they can fix these issues, I didn't take it back because when i got back to England I was back at College the next day and well my nearest Apple store is Cambridge and well I cant drive so its poor English transport for me taking 2 hours! So I shall have to wait until half-term holiday.

-Ryan-

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
I had this issue TWICE. Turns out the logic board was messed up which was causing the fans to over-power. After having the entire case replaced twice, the manager of the Apple Store I went to replaced the computer with a top of the line unibody. Apparently the issue is pretty common in the late January refresh.

jgbhardy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 15, 2008
England
I had this issue TWICE. Turns out the logic board was messed up which was causing the fans to over-power. After having the entire case replaced twice, the manager of the Apple Store I went to replaced the computer with a top of the line unibody. Apparently the issue is pretty common in the late January refresh.

Are you serious?!!
Wow that's amazing, i do love the whole white macbook original mac kinda thing so i would ponder about the unibody one, plus i have the 2.4GHz spec and the lower end 2.0GHz even with faster FSB and DDR3 hasn't got as good benchmarks. Interesting lucky you anyway for getting that.

-Ryan-

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Are you serious?!!
Wow that's amazing, i do love the whole white macbook original mac kinda thing so i would ponder about the unibody one, plus i have the 2.4GHz spec and the lower end 2.0GHz even with faster FSB and DDR3 hasn't got as good benchmarks. Interesting lucky you anyway for getting that.

Well I had a 2.4GHz white Macbook with 4gb of RAM. Mine was directly swapped over to the 2.4GHz unibody with 4gb of RAM installed. Even better is that because I bought my original 4gb of RAM aftermarket, it was returned to me, and I sold it on eBay. :eek:

jgbhardy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 15, 2008
England
Well I had a 2.4GHz white Macbook with 4gb of RAM. Mine was directly swapped over to the 2.4GHz unibody with 4gb of RAM installed. Even better is that because I bought my original 4gb of RAM aftermarket, it was returned to me, and I sold it on eBay. :eek:

Are you secretly stalking me or something because this is ridiculously uncanny! I dam sure hope your not joking with me, the though of a top end unibody is nice, but i have my criticisms with them.

Snide

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2005

The bottom line is that it wouldn't be there if you used a screen protector.
I also have marks from the keys as well, and they can't be removed.
These marks occured only after I lost the little thin foam that came with the
MacBook, and is what made me get a microfiber cloth (and use religiously).

jgbhardy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 15, 2008
England
The bottom line is that it wouldn't be there if you used a screen protector.
I also have marks from the keys as well, and they can't be removed.
These marks occured only after I lost the little thin foam that came with the
MacBook, and is what made me get a microfiber cloth (and use religiously).

This isn't some keyboard mark i have had those with this macbook and they were easy i just wiped them off no problem, this is different it has been there since the beginning its like its almost within the glossy coating or something, I cant get rid of it I tried as soon as I noticed. I had spoken to apple costumer service when I got back but now I don't have the free customer services, its still within warranty though.

drlunanerd

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2004
I don't know what other advice you're after. You've left it so long to get this sorted that Apple could well turn round and say it's wear and tear, I mean you've had it for months now. I genuinely wish you good luck but can't you just call Apple instead of leaving it even longer - they may be able to collect the laptop from you, otherwise there may be an Apple Reseller closer to you than an Apple Store.

jgbhardy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 15, 2008
England
I don't know what other advice you're after. You've left it so long to get this sorted that Apple could well turn round and say it's wear and tear, I mean you've had it for months now. I genuinely wish you good luck but can't you just call Apple instead of leaving it even longer - they may be able to collect the laptop from you, otherwise there may be an Apple Reseller closer to you than an Apple Store.

I have previously phoned apple and I have a Case report number from on the 9th October, which was originally about the screen and loose case. But it may be possible for me to go this weekend. I need no further advice now.
Thank You

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.