PDA

View Full Version : Apple May Use ‘Nuclear Arsenal’ to Delay IPhone Rival

MacBytes
Feb 2, 2009, 12:23 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: 3rd Party Hardware
Link: Apple May Use ‘Nuclear Arsenal’ to Delay IPhone Rival (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20090202132324)
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

Diseal3
Feb 2, 2009, 12:40 PM
Cold War 2!

chainprayer
Feb 2, 2009, 12:43 PM
love the IPhone capitalization...

Kilamite
Feb 2, 2009, 01:00 PM
Hard to take an article seriously when the writer says "IPhone" and has a dozen grammar mistakes.

Kind of makes you lose confidence in what they are talking about, hey?

Theophany
Feb 2, 2009, 01:01 PM
When people see the number of iPhone sold and the market cap they have, I don't think they really appreciate just how big the device is. 1% market cap, but these things are like $500, that's no mean feat. The problem is, people see 10 million sold, and compare it to iPod sales figures, which are a totally different ball game, not ball park.

Palm Pre is not a serious threat to the iPhone and Apple knows it. Speculation over them potentially going balls out against Palm is purely for tactical reasons - if they can give Palm a hard time, it will discourage anybody else looking to challenge the market. If Apple do make a move against Palm, it's stop a precedent being set. The Pre is essentially a market tester. If another, essentially crap, company can make a dent in Apple's market cap, it will open the floodgates to the competitors and no matter how tough iPhone is, Apple don't want that.

blur35mm
Feb 2, 2009, 01:12 PM
I am a Treo owner now. When my 2 year contract is up in June, I am switching to the iPhone. Hopefully they will have an upgraded version out sometime over the summer.

Reality is, I would get Pre, but Palm lost me when my Treo rebooted 3 times and I lost everything - Sure I can restore...but what a pain.

With Pre hitting the market, iPhone consumers will win! Let's see how fast copy and paste is released via a software update.

:-)

42gb
Feb 2, 2009, 01:23 PM
While I liked my old Treo, I love my iPhone. Despite that fact the iPhone still doesn't quite hit the mark for me.

There are a couple of things that could be better with the calendar, with notifications, and with the UI handling of multiple apps.

The Palm Pre looks like perfection and I plan to buy one when it eventually comes to Verizon. I would be very irritated if the Pre got tied up in litigation.

askthedust
Feb 2, 2009, 01:24 PM
wow that article regurgitated many things i'd already read here and other places a week or two ago...

Silencio
Feb 2, 2009, 05:36 PM
wow that article regurgitated many things i'd already read here and other places a week or two ago...

Welcome to the Internet echo chamber, where clueless analysts and bloggers regurgitate the same baseless speculation over and over again.

Digital Skunk
Feb 2, 2009, 06:20 PM
I am a Treo owner now. When my 2 year contract is up in June, I am switching to the iPhone. Hopefully they will have an upgraded version out sometime over the summer.

Reality is, I would get Pre, but Palm lost me when my Treo rebooted 3 times and I lost everything - Sure I can restore...but what a pain.

With Pre hitting the market, iPhone consumers will win! Let's see how fast copy and paste is released via a software update.

The sad truth is you may be dealing with those same problems with the iPhone. it will be easier to sync though.

These actions by Apple proves to me that the company may be running a bit scared. Usually Apple just lets certain companies copy away, but since 1) Palm didn't copy, and from what may people see and hear innovates far more than Apple and 2)Apple can only go so far with finger gestures that are circa 1980 they may loose this panty fight with Palm.

jayducharme
Feb 2, 2009, 06:47 PM
“Apple has never been successful in the past in keeping people out of the market by using its patent portfolio,” he said. “What’s important is how fast you can get out on the market and make a name for yourself.”

I think that sums up the article nicely. As long as Apple continues to innovate and keeps the public aware of how cool their devices are, I don't think they'll have a problem. But I also think that those who like Palm devices will try the Pre before the iPhone. And those who like Verizon will stick to whatever that carrier offers. Unless Apple pulls another rabbit out of its hat, there may be fewer people jumping ship to AT&T. There are so many competing devices coming to market now, that many customers will probably look at devices like the Pre and the G1 and think, "Well, it's close enough to the iPhone."

And of course there's also the matter of AT&T's steep monthly charges....

dejo
Feb 2, 2009, 06:53 PM
These actions by Apple proves to me that the company may be running a bit scared.
I'm curious. Which actions are you referring to?

QuarterSwede
Feb 2, 2009, 08:28 PM
These actions by Apple proves to me that the company may be running a bit scared. Usually Apple just lets certain companies copy away, but since 1) Palm didn't copy, and from what may people see and hear innovates far more than Apple and 2)Apple can only go so far with finger gestures that are circa 1980 they may loose this panty fight with Palm.
First, I think what Cook said is just him showing his newness to the (temporary) CEO position.

Second, Apple must go after anyone they think are using their IP or face losing the patent ... which they were awarded. It's as simple as that. They simply don't have a choice.

macFanDave
Feb 2, 2009, 10:42 PM
Second, Apple must go after anyone they think are using their IP or face losing the patent ... which they were awarded. It's as simple as that. They simply don't have a choice.

Absolutely right. If Apple doesn't act aggressively against infringers, they are not living up to their responsibilities to the shareholders. It's up to Apple to be dicks about it, but they have to challenge anything that even appears to use what Apple has patented. The public snippiness is a free bonus.

t0mat0
Feb 3, 2009, 02:27 AM
Absolutely right. If Apple doesn't act aggressively against infringers, they are not living up to their responsibilities to the shareholders. It's up to Apple to be dicks about it, but they have to challenge anything that even appears to use what Apple has patented. The public snippiness is a free bonus.

And if they are over-agressive when they're on shakey ground, and know that their products also include areas that other people's patents cover, then it's in their interest not to, for the sake of the company and stockholders. I'd imagine Apple would rather blow away rivals through superiority than lawsuits that'll only become expensive and backfire on them.

LinMac
Feb 3, 2009, 05:21 AM
The reality of it is just this:

Palm's Pre running WebOS and Microsoft's Windows Mobile aren't really competing against the iPhone. The iPhone has the attention and all of the press at this moment because Apple makes it. Palm and Microsoft are actually competing more with Android or Symbian than with the iPhone itself. Why? It is quite simple.

Palm intends on using their WebOS the same way Apple uses OSX on the iPhone. Draw customers in using their ecosystem to make money on phones. That is a good strategy if you can offer features that other companies don't. The WebOS SDK (from what I've read) looks quite interesting, but there are several limitations that might keep "killer" applications from appearing on the phone. We'll just have to wait and see.

Microsoft intends on creating an ecosystem around Windows 7 and other Microsoft technologies to make their new Windows Mobile OS attractive to phone makers like HTC or possible even Dell. This is interesting because we haven't seen everything Microsoft is planning, but you can almost bet the changes will be evolutionary instead of revolutionary. This will be a problem for everyone that has ever sworn off Windows Mobile because of one problem or another such as Mobile IE.

These two strategies are on shaky ground simply because you can implement similar features (or more powerful features) within Android or Symbian to take away their luster. The market at large will still use phones like the Motorola Razr, but if the successor to the Razr happens to be running Android or Symbian then that is one more nail in the coffin of a competitor OS.

I don't mean to suggest that they aren't competitors in some ways, but the iPhone is far from their biggest worry. Just look at the Lenovo OPhone for a device that could really give the Palm Pre a run for it's money.

PhilaScott
Feb 3, 2009, 06:53 AM

Agree completely. Have two Treos here... one for work and one for personal. I'm awaiting the next version of the iPhone and will quickly and happily change away from Palm (I long since stopped being an early adopter of Apple technology opting instead for version 2 or later products). And I agree that with Pre coming out, Apple will be challenged in ways it hasn't been before and the consumer will win. ...Unless, Apple does what Apple does best: Thumb their collective noses up at healthy competition and continue to tell consumers what they want, need and will get... :rolleyes: