Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deb2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 2, 2009
Hi I spilled green tea on my macbook a few weeks ago, I gave it about a week to dry out and now when I turn it on it just keeps shutting it on and off. I was hoping I was going to be able to in the least save the information from my hardrive, but am afraid I may have lost it all?

Thanks

akashsp

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2009
Leicester,UK
Green tea on Macbook!

Uhm, M8 the best thing to do is take it to your closest apple store or retail store. See if they can do anything. I did the same to an ipod and they said it was fixable.

deb2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 2, 2009
thanks i will try hooking up to another mac. In the meantime if I try once more to see if it has magically got better will it do any harm to the hard drive to try and turn it on once again?

raremage

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2005
Orlando, Florida
thanks i will try hooking up to another mac. In the meantime if I try once more to see if it has magically got better will it do any harm to the hard drive to try and turn it on once again?
The hard drive is pretty much a closed environment, so you're probably OK unless you got tea in/around the power connection on the drive. Regardless, the data will still be there, but if you short out the drive somehow, you're looking at a pretty significant cost to get the data recovered by a disk recovery service.

labyrinth23

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2009
Macbooks aren't like towels...I don't know of any case where anyone was able to let it dry out and have it work again. You're best bet is to take it to the Apple store and make up some story because I don't think they'll cover liquid damage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.