Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Versello

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 13, 2003
I recently got a 500MHz G3 iBook, and while OS X was preloaded on it, I decided to start fresh; I put in the CD, did the install, and at the end it said there were errors during the install and to try again. Rebooted, and now the iBook won't recognize any CD (Jaguar, Panther, Restore CD, etc).

After hearing the chime, I push and hold 'C'; the screen seems to flash and then the no OS image appears. :(

BrandonRP0123

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2003
San Francisco, CA
Versello said:
I recently got a 500MHz G3 iBook, and while OS X was preloaded on it, I decided to start fresh; I put in the CD, did the install, and at the end it said there were errors during the install and to try again. Rebooted, and now the iBook won't recognize any CD (Jaguar, Panther, Restore CD, etc).

After hearing the chime, I push and hold 'C'; the screen seems to flash and then the no OS image appears. :(

What CD did you put in? Panther? First try resetting the PRAM, then the PMU. I seem to remember when I updated my iBook (500Mhz, white, G3) to Jaguar it did that to me. You may also want to try holding down Option when it boots up (with the CD in the drive) and see what that does for you.

Versello

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 13, 2003
BrandonRP0123 said:
What CD did you put in? Panther? First try resetting the PRAM, then the PMU. I seem to remember when I updated my iBook (500Mhz, white, G3) to Jaguar it did that to me. You may also want to try holding down Option when it boots up (with the CD in the drive) and see what that does for you.

It was actually my boss that did this, so I'm not exactly sure what he did, but he told me he put in the Panther install disc. I'll try holding down the option key when I go to work. Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.