Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cantthinkofone

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 25, 2004
Missouri, USA
How secure are VPNs if my internet is from my local cable company? Will they just see a encrypted package being sent? or can they see, oh he or she is sending dirty pictures, or he or she is transferring business plans for the next fortune 500 company.

yippy

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2004
Chicago, IL
All VPNs I am aware of are encrypted with a strong encryption scheme. This means any network it goes across between the client and the VPN server will see nothing but encrypted packets.

VPNs are considered secure enough to transfer highly sensitive large company data from ones home or public WiFi hotspot to the company intranet.

shokunin

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2005
Try http://openvpn.net. You can google for openvpn or pptp or other IPsec protocols and applications based on what level of comfort you have in setting up keys and CA certificates and so forth.

I've used it on my FreeBSD based firewall/router (pfSense) to VPN remotely to my home network. I used to use this when using wifi spots and needed to do something sensitive (online banking).

You could even use DD-WRT if you have a linksys WRT router to get openVPN functionality.. However, I've never used that particular feature on when I did use my old linksys.

superwoman

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2005
Monterey,CA
You mean your home computer that you intend to use as a vpn server is a Mac?
If so, just google "openvpn mac os x" and you'll receive plenty of help.

By the way, ISPs are usually very restrictive when it comes to incoming traffic. It's not necessarily a problem, but it's something to bear in mind when your setup doesn't work. The cause may be your ISP is blocking the required ports. There are workarounds. Just read up and don't get frustrated.

mlts22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2008
As an alternative to a PPTP VPN, there is using PPP over a SSH connection, but that takes some manual configuration to do.

SSH is a very secure protocol and has weathered the years well, but it is nowhere near as transparent and easy to set up as PPTP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.