Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AeroBar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 21, 2009
Hi,

I was browsing in the TV section of iTunes, and I'm pretty sure the girl from iCarly is giving the V sign in the artwork for her TV show.

Someone tell me I'm wrong.

AeroBar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 21, 2009
Hey,

I forgot about this.

I checked again. The " Peace " sign it is not.

The back of her hand is facing outwards.

Regards.

AeroBar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 21, 2009
Hang on, fellows.

It means something different this side of the Pond.

The V sign is a hand gesture in which the first and second fingers are raised and parted, whilst the remaining fingers are clenched. With palm inwards, in the United Kingdom and some other English speaking countries, it is an obscene insulting gesture of defiance. During the World War II, Winston Churchill popularised its use as a "Victory" sign (for V as in victory) initially with palm inwards and later in the war palm outwards. In the United States, with the palm outwards, and more recently, occasionally inward as well, it is also used to mean "Peace", a meaning that became popular during the peace movement of the 1960s.

bozz2006

macrumors 68030
Aug 24, 2007
Minnesota
I know what you're saying, but if someone asks me why "the finger" is insulting, I would say that giving the finger is saying "f*** you" without actually saying it. So, if the finger means f*** you, what does the "V" mean?

Jakeblu

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2008
UK
do you know why the " finger " means what it means?

I always thought the middle finger meant 'up-yours' or 'sc**w you'.

2 fingers with the palm inwards meant 'f**k you/off'

2 fingers palm outwards meant either 'peace man' or 'victory' (good old winnie)

But then again I am english amybe its differnet where you are.

Steve aka Jakeblu

Raid

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2003
Toronto
that show was just great:D Didn't they eat cats or something... where have all the good shows gone?
I believe they ate rats in a rather snake-like fashion. Parts of that show scared the heck out of me in my formative years... but it ruined the Nightmare on Elm St. Movies for me when I discovered Freddy was the friendly alien on V.

Now as for those of us without iTunes...at work... anyone care to post the pic in question?

AeroBar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 21, 2009
I always thought the middle finger meant 'up-yours' or 'sc**w you'.

2 fingers with the palm inwards meant 'f**k you/off'

2 fingers palm outwards meant either 'peace man' or 'victory' (good old winnie)

But then again I am english amybe its differnet where you are.

Steve aka Jakeblu

Hi Steve,

I'm just across the water from you in Ireland. Yes, they mean the same thing here. My last post was a comment for bozz2006.

It's could to know that when I head to the States in July I can give two fingers to anyone I want and they won't have a clue. :D

Regards.

AeroBar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 21, 2009
I believe they ate rats in a rather snake-like fashion. Parts of that show scared the heck out of me in my formative years... but it ruined the Nightmare on Elm St. Movies for me when I discovered Freddy was the friendly alien on V.

Now as for those of us without iTunes...at work... anyone care to post the pic in question?

I don't know how to get that pic for you to see. Sorry. But suffice to say the artwork will be altered for the European release.

Raid

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2003
Toronto
I don't know how to get that pic for you to see. Sorry. But suffice to say the artwork will be altered for the European release.
Never fear Snapz Pro X is here!

I now present the offending picture:
iCarly Screeb Capture.jpg

Hmmm I don't know, I mean she could be part of a valley girl gang and is just represent'n! :D

Jakeblu

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2008
UK
If that was shown here on the BBC there would be 30000 complaints from Daily Mail Readers:D

Steve aka Jakeblu

AeroBar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 21, 2009
If that was shown here on the BBC there would be 30000 complaints from Daily Mail Readers:D

Steve aka Jakeblu

At least that tool with the stupid hair is gone (not Woss of course, the other one)

awesome - I've actually forgotten his name. oh joy!!!!

Jakeblu

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2008
UK
At least that tool with the stupid hair is gone (not Woss of course, the other one)

awesome - I've actually forgotten his name. oh joy!!!!

You mean the guy who won best live stand-up award at the British Comedy Awards.:D

I wont remind you of his name its clearly still a painful memory:D:D

Steve aka Jakeblu

AeroBar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 21, 2009
Hey Steve,

That picture is on the UK iTunes store now.

Let's see for how long.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.