Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BenDalton

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2003
Umm...

forgive me if I'm a little less than optimistic about this rumor. not that information like this that has come down the pipe before hasn't been accurate or anything like that . ;)

just my 2 cents

Kingsnapped

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I hope they don't use the mini-like scroll wheel. I didn't like the idea when I saw it, and I like it less after playing with it. Physical buttons are a no-no for iPods.

On the other hand, I'm excited for the 4th generation of iPods being near. I've outgrown my 10gig iPod and I want more room. 3rd gen iPods will be going like hotcakes on eBay once the new ones are out.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
a video out is useless unless the "color screen" plays movies too. Why would you want to store photos on your ipod....and then also look at them on a tv. Big deal.

xtbfx

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2003
If these are announced soon, anyone wanna buy my 30GB iPod? Original box and everything. woo-hoo!

briankonar

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2004
ooh time for a new ipod :D

and i just got my 5gb replaced :(

video output may mean it's time to convert all my Video_TS folders into MP4's, which would be great because my 200 gb are full (does anyone have/use LaCie's big disk, is it worth the storage/performance trade off?).

i hope it has a sleek aluminum enclosure like the upcoming apple displays...i'm having wet dreams over my next set up (dual 30 inchers!!!).

proglife

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2003
Annapolis, MD
Wonder Boy said:
actually, it does.

:rolleyes: Should I have included the ultra-lame </sarcasm> ?

I like the video out idea. That makes a video iPod much more interesting now; I always thought it was a pretty weak concept, but Apple doesn't really put out weak products, do they?

I LOVE the mini controls. This sounds like a pretty reasonable rumor to me!

dynamicd

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2002
Chicago
If this is true, I would definitely purchase one, however, with all the success that the mini is having I'm not so sure Apple will release something like this anytime soon.

Gizmotoy

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2003
Not to sound overly pessimistic... but the iPod's battery life is already on the short side of the spectrum. A color screen and likely faster processor to handle it (and maybe movies?) aren't going to help...

I think I'd prefer a plain brushed-aluminum greyscale iPod with the mini's click-wheel and some sort of bluetooth streaming option. That would be pretty near perfect. I can dream...

daytona63

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2002
San Diego, CA
Perfect

These specs, if true, are perfect. It sounds like it would display pics on the unit, while video would be displayed on a TV screen or something. I just hope it isn't any bigger than the present iPod, and the battery life doesn't suffer. As for the Mini-style buttons, I like them quite a lot. I have a 30GB iPod with all touch, and I prefer the sensation of feeling buttons depressed. A touch-sensative scrollwheel combined with push buttons like on the Mini is genius, IMHO.

NP3

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2003
Los Angeles
doubtful...

Video Out? Color Screen?

No mention of "Great new long lasting battery" to not piss everyone off about battery life even further?

Seriously, i think they should skip all the color/video stuff until the next revision, give it a superior battery, bigger hard drives, and lower the ipod mini's price.

Just my $.02

ColoJohnBoy

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2003
Denver, Colorado
carletonmusic said:
a video out is useless unless the "color screen" plays movies too. Why would you want to store photos on your ipod....and then also look at them on a tv. Big deal.

I'd imagine if it has video out then it would be capable of playing video oon both a second screen and its own little two incher. I think it's a great idea - download hours of music videos, stick them on the iPod, then go to a party and hook it up to the television....

iPod.... the ultimate party accessory. :p

proglife

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2003
Annapolis, MD
ColoJohnBoy said:
iPod.... the ultimate party accessory. :p

Hell yes...it already is. I get great satisfaction by loading up a playlist before hitting a party and playing it over the house stereo. A video out would be ridiculous.

carbonmotion

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2004
San Francisco, CA
bs...nobody can fit a video player and a large hardcore battery pack inside an enclosure remotely close in size to the current iPods. As much as i'd like to be proven wrong, i don't think i will be. I mean, unless apple high jacked Area 51 Alien nano technology , it impossible ...ah though it is woely possibly that apple has made a deal with the us government to liscence to production of....... anyways, like i said, in 3-4 years maybe, this year -noway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.