PDA

View Full Version : Finish chipping off unibody macbook?

Tomomcd
Feb 3, 2009, 07:46 AM
Will try and get a picture at some point ( Need some batteries for the camera :o )

But the silver finish on the macbook seems to be chipping off on the sharp edge. Some on the lip and the edge round to the right hand corner.

Probably at least 10-15 little chips now and just seems to be getting worse as time goes on.

Nothing on the left hand side at all

Bit strange, whether the finish had not adhered properly i don't know what would be causing it. Especially on the corner where it hardly gets touched during normal use ( No watches bracelets whatnot either, my watch has caused no problems on the other side)

Guess everyone elses is perfect? :confused: :(
Lecture for now , will be back later

drlunanerd
Feb 3, 2009, 07:51 AM
Will try and get a picture at some point ( Need some batteries for the camera :o )

But the silver finish on the macbook seems to be chipping off on the sharp edge. Some on the lip and the edge round to the right hand corner.

Probably at least 10-15 little chips now and just seems to be getting worse as time goes on.

Nothing on the left hand side at all

Bit strange, whether the finish had not adhered properly i don't know what would be causing it. Especially on the corner where it hardly gets touched during normal use ( No watches bracelets whatnot either, my watch has caused no problems on the other side)

Guess everyone elses is perfect? :confused: :(
Lecture for now , will be back later

I've noticed this too. It seems as though the aluminium is more "brittle" on the Unibodies. You just can't win with Apple's materials choices :rolleyes:
Having said that I'd take a Unibody over a plastic MacBook any day.

VSMacOne
Feb 3, 2009, 08:13 AM
Do you guys have any pics?
Man this makes me glad that i installed PalmGuard on mine before it started peeling..

ThomasJL
Feb 3, 2009, 09:47 AM
Does the aluminum MacBook have any actual finish (as in paint or matte clear coat), or is it unfinished anodized aluminum?

likemyorbs
Feb 3, 2009, 09:51 AM
Does the aluminum MacBook have any actual finish (as in paint or matte clear coat), or is it unfinished anodized aluminum?

well i always thought its just unfinished anodized aluminum. but apparently not if its chipping...weird...

drlunanerd
Feb 3, 2009, 10:50 AM
well i always thought its just unfinished anodized aluminum

It is. But it just seems more prone to the metal chipping.

alphaod
Feb 3, 2009, 11:30 AM
I hope my computer doesn't chip.

dr.devious
Feb 3, 2009, 11:31 AM
I hope my computer doesn't chip.

No doubt...

svndmvn
Feb 6, 2009, 12:54 PM
where are the pics?

Eric S.
Feb 6, 2009, 01:07 PM
How long have you had it?

svndmvn
Feb 6, 2009, 01:28 PM
How long have you had it?

his posts say since Nov 6th.

guthy-lux
Feb 6, 2009, 02:05 PM
how often do you carry? Is it like hitting the metal (or hard plastic) zipper in the bag?

cogsinister
Feb 6, 2009, 05:04 PM
Oh no, first my whitebook cracking, now my new unibody "chipping"

Mine btw is fine with no sign of any chipping after quite a lot of heavy use.....

I dont think there is any coating as such on the ally, it looks/feels anodised to me, or maybe it is textured with some sort of laser process....

VSMacOne
Feb 6, 2009, 09:51 PM
pictures or it didn't happen!! :eek:

Patriks7
Feb 7, 2009, 07:59 AM
pictures or it didn't happen!! :eek:

What he said. I don't want to replace my white CrackBook for a silver ChipBook :eek:

ec51
Feb 7, 2009, 11:03 AM
Watch the side where you (if you do) wear a watch. I noticed my left edge looks a tiny, tiny bit worn. It's def from my watch though....

Primejimbo
Feb 7, 2009, 11:33 AM
Do you guys have any pics?
Man this makes me glad that i installed PalmGuard on mine before it started peeling..

I want to look into that, I got one but it's "soft" and I really don't like it.

Abstract
Feb 7, 2009, 11:39 AM
It is. But it just seems more prone to the metal chipping.

Yep, it's just metal chipping, not the finish chipping.

MacBook Pros used to have a plastic edge all along the outer edge of the machine so that it chipped instead of the metal. It really wasn't any more pretty, but you'd never feel bad about it since it's plastic.

cogsinister
Feb 7, 2009, 12:06 PM
Yep, it's just metal chipping, not the finish chipping.

MacBook Pros used to have a plastic edge all along the outer edge of the machine so that it chipped instead of the metal. It really wasn't any more pretty, but you'd never feel bad about it since it's plastic.

JUST metal chipping !!!!

Mine had better not ever chip.....its metal for gods sake......im not hammering at it with a chisel !!

VSMacOne
Feb 7, 2009, 03:25 PM
I want to look into that, I got one but it's "soft" and I really don't like it.

Go for it!! I have no gripes whatsoever about it! It's like it's not even there, but it REALLY is :)

JamesGorman
Feb 7, 2009, 03:41 PM
wow, i really hope this dosent start happening to me..that would suck big time

highlandscot
Mar 1, 2009, 08:21 PM
Unfortunately you're not the only one experiencing this. I have the black MacBook (more expensive than white), well taken care of, experiencing chipping for two days now in lower right corner of shell where your hands rest while typing. I will check if this is covered thru Apple Care.

WinkWink726
Mar 1, 2009, 08:25 PM
well, this sucks! I cant hardly wait... :(

cogsinister
Mar 1, 2009, 08:31 PM
Unfortunately you're not the only one experiencing this. I have the black MacBook (more expensive than white), well taken care of, experiencing chipping for two days now in lower right corner of shell where your hands rest while typing. I will check if this is covered thru Apple Care.

This thread is about the Unibody Macs, not the plastic ones, we ALL know they chip and crack and splinter whatever you do to them.......

marbles
Mar 1, 2009, 08:34 PM
I noticed this(albeit small chips) on the 17" MBP unboxing pics I saw on engadget the other day.

Have a look at the left hand corner.Pic is from engadget link:
http://www.engadget.com/photos/macbook-pro-17-inch-unibody-unboxing-and-hands-on/1385122/

Here we go again with QC :confused: :apple:

Notice where the body curves at the corner , a small chip? also on the screen surround nearby :(

danny_w
Mar 1, 2009, 08:37 PM
This thread is about the Unibody Macs, not the plastic ones, we ALL know they chip and crack and splinter whatever you do to them.......
You generalize, sir. I had mine for 2 years and it looked like brand new when I sold it. Not a blemish on the black plastic anywhere.

cogsinister
Mar 1, 2009, 08:52 PM
You generalize, sir. I had mine for 2 years and it looked like brand new when I sold it. Not a blemish on the black plastic anywhere.

Yeah ok, i will admit i have seen some plastic macbooks that seem to last years without cracking, but i for one and glad to be rid of my Whitebook.......the Unibody is far more sturdy.........unless the finnish starts chipping off that is..........*groan*