Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chimpboy74

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 12, 2007
Scotland
Hi I just bought an ATV at Xmas. So far I am loving it but feel I am missing a couple of things. I have eytv on my macbook which I love. Do you think that apple would ever allow you to plug the eyetv device directly to ATV? As i work it from a laptop it isnt always convenient to have the laptop connected to my roof aerial and a fixed position would be ideal.

Also I would love to have access to BBC iplayer (without hacking). Seems from the various other threads this isnt going to happen anytime soon.

so my question is should I ditch the ATV and get a mac mini? That way i can have it set up under my TV permanently (I only went for ATV to watch the HDef footage I shot on my camcorder but as I edit in imovie i cant seem to get it to play on ATV in hidef - major bone of contention) view iplayer when I want and also still have all my music etc available via front row.

Or will good things come to me if I wait :)?

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
I don't think Apple will let you plug one of the receiver/dvr things into it as most sets now have built-in tuners, and Apple wants you to download content, rather than record it.

By all means, get a Mini. If the new ones come out, you should be able to get some smokin' deals on older models... :)

chimpboy74

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 12, 2007
Scotland
Hi
I noticed that you have a mac mini and atv. Do you see where I am coming from or am I missing something on atv?

chimpboy74

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 12, 2007
Scotland
mythtv?

huh? I dont get it.Even on their forums it seems they are not sure that you can get it to work and even if you do it sounds soooooo involved.

I'm a bit too thick for that I'm afraid. Anyone else got any suggestions?

Boxee?

tom1971

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2007
mythtv?

huh? I dont get it.Even on their forums it seems they are not sure that you can get it to work and even if you do it sounds soooooo involved.

I'm a bit too thick for that I'm afraid. Anyone else got any suggestions?

Boxee?

Boxee is easy to install, but I think it is too cluttered. You might want to check it out, though

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
Hi
I noticed that you have a mac mini and atv. Do you see where I am coming from or am I missing something on atv?

My AppleTV is in the bedroom to watch stuff so I don't have to lug DVD's up there.

I do download HD content and take it downstairs to watch in my home theater at times.

My Mini is just used as a desktop and to rip DVD's for my iPhone and AppleTV.

Sounds like you need to use functions above and beyond an AppleTV, so you should use a Mini instead.

chimpboy74

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 12, 2007
Scotland
hi
The intention of my thread was to get advice over the mini vs atv dilemma I have. I wasn't looking for offers.
Many apologies if the wording of my thread caused any problems
I have found this forum very informative and helpful I certainly don't want to break any rules:eek:

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
^^^ no worries.. :)

Okay to always ask - I've gotten some good advice on this forum...

The new Mini is under speculation, so if you are willing to wait a bit, deals on older Minis (get a C2D one, though), more than capable of what you want to do, should abound!

chimpboy74

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 12, 2007
Scotland
thinking about buying a mini to replace a tired old pc anyway. Anyone any ideas of what sorts of discounts will be available on the old versions once the new are released? Would getting acrefurb at that time offer any additional benefits? My MacBook and atv are returns ad so far I am happy with what you get

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
Apple Refurbs in the US are $499 and $679.

I would assume they would go even lower when the new ones are out.

Our church bought the 1.5 Core Solo from the refurb store for $419 when the Core 2 Duos came out.

So, in March, you should be able to get great deal on the current ones... I would think $449 and $629 for the current refurbs...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.