Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Fifty years after Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens and the Big Bopper played their final gig at the Surf Ballroom in Clear Lake, Iowa, the Day the Music Died became the Day the Music Went On and On.

Last night's tribute concert at the original Surf raved on for six hours with a contingent of rock vets that seemed as criss-crossed as the original Winter Dance Party tour itinerary, including Graham Nash, Los Lobos, Los Lonely Boys, Wanda Jackson, Delbert McClinton, Joe Ely, Peter & Gordon, Dave Mason, Bobby Vee and Holly's original bandmates, the Crickets.

If nothing else, the 50th anniversary bash -- produced by the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and filmed for a possible upcoming TV special -- reiterated to Holly's Texans and Valens' Mexican-Americans why the fallen rock icons even got on the plane that crashed that night in 1959. The temperature outside hovered around zero with a wind-chill that would have sliced through their unheated school bus.
http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/rock-vets-remember-the-day-the-music-died-1003937412.story

http://www.bakotopia.com/home/ViewPost/86213
On a cold stormy night, Feb. 3, 1959, three of rock music’s most popular, up-and-coming stars took a plane ride, never to return.

Frustrated with tour bus conditions after a gig the night before at Surf Ballroom in Clear Lake, Iowa - rock hitmaker Buddy Holly, along with rising teen idol Ritchie Valens, and radio personality turned music star - J. P. “The Big Bopper” Richardson, decide to board a small charter craft headed to their next gig in Hector Airport in Fargo, North Dakota once their show was over that night.

On their way to their destination, the plane crashed into a cornfield, killing all four passengers, including pilot Roger Peterson.

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
I can't stand American Pie. 3.5 minutes, 4 minutes would've been alright... They say the studio wanted to cut the single back so it would fit on one side of an LP, but in the end decided it was so emotional they had to keep it intact at 8:30 and just put in on both sides.

La Bamba is an awesome song. Just, ya know, in case you didn't know that.

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
San Francisco California, USA
Surely the Day The Music Died was November 22nd 1963? I had it on good authority.

That was JFK's assassination! I was in the 1st grade, standing in the lunch line and everyone (adults-teachers-cafeteria workers) started crying. And there I was, standing in line trying to get my extra milk with my lunch on a tray. It was a sad day...:(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.