Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

louis0nfire

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 22, 2008
I'm dead set on the Nikon D40, as I am just getting into DSLR's. But, I know it's been out for awhile now, and I'm just wondering if any updates or new lines from Nikon are on their way. I'd hate to buy it and then 2 months later they announce a new entry-level DSLR. Opinions? Thanks.

Cliff3

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
SF Bay Area
I'm dead set on the Nikon D40, as I am just getting into DSLR's. But, I know it's been out for awhile now, and I'm just wondering if any updates or new lines from Nikon are on their way. I'd hate to buy it and then 2 months later they announce a new entry-level DSLR. Opinions? Thanks.

PMA is next month (3/5-3/5) so if you want to wait for a potential product announcement before making a buying decision, those would be your next dates.

edit: and not to take this too far off track, but the D60 replaced the D40x in the US, but the D40x appears to be a currently available model in other markets. It is still listed as a current model on the Nikon Europe site, for example.

iTiki

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2007
Maui, Hawaii
For the price you can get a D40 for these days, I don't think you can lose. Awesome camera to take you through the DSLR learning curve. Many keep their D40s when they move up. Put the 18-200 on it and you will have an outstanding walk around or light travel camera when you are ready for the next level. Just my $.02:D

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
The D40X was discontinued though and the D60 is in a different category (not entry level/low budget).
Nope, wrong....the D40x discontinued, replaced by D60, now the the D40 and D60 is Nikon entry level DSRLs, Nikon kept D40 cause its ridiculous cheap and offer good performance except for it doesn't have a build-in sensor cleaning and a few extra caveats. Both D60 and D40 doesn't have the motor screw thing so they belong in the same category.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.