Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tylerscottd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 17, 2006
Hello all,
I recently decided to install the Windows 7 beta on 24' Intel Aluminium iMac. It has been working out surprising well, save for one minor problem. The problem is that whenever I play any audio on the system in Windows 7, the sound is severely muffled. When first installed, I had no sound whatsoever, therefore I installed RealTek HD audio drivers, and am just able to get the muffled sound stated above. I was wondering if anyone has any type of solution for this problem. Any help is appreciated.

ryan.stewie

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2008
Australia
I too have this problem, I install the drivers, they work, but the sound is sooooooo bad and muffled. Ive been trying to play games on Windows 7, they play fine, but the audio really spoils it. Does anyone have a fix for this?

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
Right-click on the sound icon next to the clock --> Playback devices. Double click on "Speakers", click on the "Enhancements" tab, scroll down and check "Virtual Surround" and "Equalizer" which you will set to Rock. Click Apply and things should be much better.

I always do this with any Vista/Win7 installation because I totally know what you mean when you say "muffled". Sound in OS X seems so much clearer for some reason. Hopefully this makes things sound a little more like OS X.

hoonu

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2008
Orange County, CA
Right-click on the sound icon next to the clock --> Playback devices. Double click on "Speakers", click on the "Enhancements" tab, scroll down and check "Virtual Surround" and "Equalizer" which you will set to Rock. Click Apply and things should be much better.

I always do this with any Vista/Win7 installation because I totally know what you mean when you say "muffled". Sound in OS X seems so much clearer for some reason. Hopefully this makes things sound a little more like OS X.

Good tip. I did this as well and I found it to be better. I didnt use Virtual Surround however since I found it makes the sound a lil muffled as well (at least in other devices as it imitates multiple channels).

cadc

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2010

Thankyou SOO MUCH! it does sound a worlds better! finally I can enjoy the audio how its supposed to =D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.