Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dawnraid

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 9, 2007
So I was just listening to some music through some speakers on my old 1.8ghz cd macbook and then I unplugged the cable from the headphone jack and noticed that there was a red glowing light coming from the headphone jack. Now my sound is messed up, sound works properly only when something is plugged into the headphone jack. Nothing will play through the internal speakers when i try to adjust the volume with nothing plugged in I get this. Has this happened to anybody else, any solutions?

Attachments

• Picture 3.png
    Picture 3.png
    147.4 KB · Views: 3,098

mikethemovie

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2008
I had this problem to.. Cant remember what laptop it was..

Try Google.. There is much to find about this.. I thought something wasnt in the good place.. Or something.. Macgoogle..

It went away after a while..

ikkeson

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2008
So I was just listening to some music through some speakers on my old 1.8ghz cd macbook and then I unplugged the cable from the headphone jack and noticed that there was a red glowing light coming from the headphone jack. Now my sound is messed up, sound works properly only when something is plugged into the headphone jack. Nothing will play through the internal speakers when i try to adjust the volume with nothing plugged in I get this. Has this happened to anybody else, any solutions?

I assume that for som reason the digital output is activated. What happens when you reboot the mac? Does the red light keeps glowing?

dawnraid

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 9, 2007
I did some research on google. Apparently a switch got stuck inside the headphone jack, slowly inserting a headphone cable into the jack fixed the problem. Thanks and hopefully this doesnt happen again /fingers crossed

Chase817

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2008
I've had this problem! All you have to do is jam a few items in there, as in the back of a match, the small end of a paintbrush etc. I thought it was a joke, but it actually worked. The small end of a paint brush worked for me. Google it and you will see what I'm talking about.

Jack Flash

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2007
Just to let you all know, the red light is used on all apple products (excluding iPods) to show when headphones are being used - if you have an Airport Express, try telling iTunes to play music to it without any speakers plugged in and you'll see what I mean.
No, actually the red light is for the purpose of digital audio. It is supposed to be activated only when a mini-TOSLINK connector is inserted.

No, actually the red light is for the purpose of digital audio. It is supposed to be activated only when a mini-TOSLINK connector is inserted.

Really? I didn't realise that you could get a TOSLINK connector that uses the same size port as a headphone cable (I've only ever seen the big ones on the Apple TV / PS3 etc.). You learn something new every day... :)

brendan.leo

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2009
Really? I didn't realise that you could get a TOSLINK connector that uses the same size port as a headphone cable (I've only ever seen the big ones on the Apple TV / PS3 etc.). You learn something new every day... :)

3.5mm toslink connectors exist, they are longer than a 3.5mm TRS connector. On the Apple products that support digital audio out, the optical unit is in the headphone jack. It sits further back in the jack though, to accommodate the longer toslink connector, and to prevent damage from the metal tip of a TRS connector.

Cloud999

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2011
This will fix your issue with the sound

Shut down the Mac computer and then turn it back on, immediately hold down these four keys at the same time for 10 seconds "command, option, r, p" your mac computer will restart couple of times show will here the restart sound. now release the keys and let it restart. Your problem will be solved.

This technique is a robust restart of the computer, this sound problem happens when we overload the mac system, this technique release the pressure of the system. "Do not attempt to do this to many times it could damage the system as well"

logana

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2006
Scotland
Shut down the Mac computer and then turn it back on, immediately hold down these four keys at the same time for 10 seconds "command, option, r, p" your mac computer will restart couple of times show will here the restart sound. now release the keys and let it restart. Your problem will be solved.

This technique is a robust restart of the computer, this sound problem happens when we overload the mac system, this technique release the pressure of the system. "Do not attempt to do this to many times it could damage the system as well"

Did you join to post this ?

Resetting PRAM will NOT do anything about this problem......

It is a normally a physical problem inside the headphone jack so your technique will not change anything.......

biohead

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2010
West Drayton, UK
Looks at date of original post... 2 years ago :rolleyes:

Anyway... it's a sticky switch inside the jack that causes this problem. A PRAM reset, if it fixed it, would just be coincidence.

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA

I've had this problem a couple of times. I just restarted my computer and it went away...

EDIT: Didn't realize that this thread was so old. Nevermind.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.