Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

will0407

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 20, 2006
I just got an MBA from ebay. I turned it on, and tried to turn the backlit keyboard on, but it won't. I've pressed F5/F6 numerous times, but I keep getting the same sign popping up (i've attached a pic)

Can anyone help as to what the source of this problem is and how to fix it.

Attachments

• DSC01292.JPG
    DSC01292.JPG
    53.1 KB · Views: 76

ZAK248313

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2006
It only enables if the rooms dark enough. It has a light censor.

There's a couple of programs out there that you can use to take proper control of it though.

will0407

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 20, 2006
Does that mean I can't use the backlit function unless i'm in the dark? My brother has a UK spec air, and he can use the backlit function on his whenever

nph

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2005
This has happened to me as well with my MBP. Just make sure you cover the light sensor for a few seconds and problem is solved. for the moment at least...:p

hodgeheg

macrumors regular
Dec 7, 2008
Completely normal for Rev B. Air. No idea about Rev. A.

If you hold your hand between the light source and the sensor (near the isight camera - I forget which side it's on) you'll be able to increase/decrease the brightness. You can also this off completely in system preferences:keyboard.

Older MacBook Pros had three buttons to control the lighting, an on/off and up/down brightness. Did the rev A MBA? - I don't know.

However there is a piece of software called LabTick that enables you (for MBPs and PowerBook G4s, I don't know about Airs but it's worth a look) to manually turn the backlighting on regardless of light conditions, however I did have some weird behaviour on occasion with it - but I've only ever used it on a G4 15" and not recently.

P.S. No idea whether it's a good idea or not!

andreab35

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2008
USA
Yep I've gotten the same thing as you sometimes.
To do the trick, I just cover the light sensor for a couple of seconds and then I can brighten the keyboard.

rhyx

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2008
It is rare to want the backlight on during the day, but at times it has made keys easier to read.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.