Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nph

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 9, 2005
Haven't seen any new screen info/questions for a while so here comes one:
Any one bought a new MBA in the last few weeks and was your screen ok?
Any new screen models popping up? I have only seen 9C9A and 9C90 with the same manufacturer 610.

Anyone here who bought from Amazon recently (January) and what was the production week?

I remember seeing one posting about getting a bad screen on a rev B 128SSD that got a perfect replacement from Apple. Can you share the screen info?

Thanks

rhyx

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2008
Haven't seen any new screen info/questions for a while so here comes one:
Any new screen models popping up? I have only seen 9C9A and 9C90 with the same manufacturer 610.

Anyone here who bought from Amazon recently (January) and what was the production week?

I remember seeing one posting about getting a bad screen on a rev B 128SSD that got a perfect replacement from Apple. Can you share the screen info?

Thanks

I'm a lot January order from Apple. I think I still have the lines, but it is barely noticeable.

zer0tails

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
Canada
i bought mine macbook air 1.86/128 rev B last week. The screen is a 9c9a but it's perfect. It's also very clear and vibrant with minimal dark spots compared the other macbook airs which i had and returned. Yes, i was shocked at first :eek: But it's true and i ain't complaining. It's a week 46 i believe

my experience leads me to believe those on the forum who were insisting they had no lines were telling the truth

mhnajjar

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2008
It's also very clear and vibrant with minimal dark spots compared the other macbook airs which i had and returned.

What do you mean by that?

If I am NOT mistaken, the dark spots are due to the lines according to what I have seen so far.

tubbymac

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2008

I just received my MBA refurb rev A this Wednesday morning after ordering it on Monday afternoon. I am a bit surprised how fast it was delivered considering I chose the normal ground shipping option.

I've seen the horizontal lines on all the rev B machines in the Apple Store and on all the rev A machines still remaining at the local Best Buys. I took a gamble ordering this due to the price, and...

My rev A has no horizontal lines! Thank goodness. I've looked at it from all angles, at each brightness setting, and with pure white backgrounds. I've also tested out all the screen savers and am pleasantly surprised at the deep black levels.

My unibody Macbook has a terrible screen. This Air has the same size screen but it's vastly superior in quality. I don't know if I lucked out or not but I am very happy with this screen and will keep this thing until either the Air rev C comes out or Apple fixes the rev B screens.

I forgot to check my panel model number. I'm calibrating my battery right now but I'll post the model tomorrow when it's done.

mikey28

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2008
I just got my Rev B a week and a half ago (last tuesday). My screen is perfect. please let me know how to check the screen number (missed that post) and I'll let you know...

nph

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 9, 2005
goto sys pref,
Displays
Open color profile
scroll to second last from end click that one

mikey28

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2008
Thanks!
Rev B 128SSD
Mine is 9C9A. The screen is perfect no lines, and no flicker. Also I bought mine from Amazon. It's production week 48. According to coconut it was built between 11-24 and 11-30 in Shanghai.

faxao

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2008
Milano, Italy
Mod. 9C90 here, no lines, make date between 12-8-2008 and 12-14-2008 (Shangai) according to Coconut identity card.

I bought it in London mid January :)

tubbymac

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2008
Hmm never seen this model before, but my screen is a 9C6F. Gorgeous screen though.

LeonX

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2008
I did a little tour to the US, went to Washington, San Francisco and Boston. And all the MBAs on display had line. Back here in Europe I finally saw the first line-free unit (after about two dozens with line issues before). So finally there seems to be a fix!

mhnajjar

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2008
Yes tubbymac, the revAs have different screen models than revBs.

I wonder if Apple would exchange one of the line manifested revB screens with an older revA screen, or maybe they would not work for some reason :rolleyes:

frifra

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2008
I did a little tour to the US, went to Washington, San Francisco and Boston. And all the MBAs on display had line. Back here in Europe I finally saw the first line-free unit (after about two dozens with line issues before). So finally there seems to be a fix!

Can you tell us where in Europe you did see it?

Cause I went to a big electronic store in Germany, Hamburg. I looked at the MBA Rev.B and first I thought the lines were gone. But then I opened Google.com and I did see them. Although they were much less noticeable than before, but this might be due to the bright light in the store.

I couldn't check the screen model, as the options were 'locked' by the admin.

So far - unfortunetly - I did not see any MBA Rev.B without the lines. If anyone knows where in the north of germany I could see one I would be glad if you let me know! Cheers!

mhnajjar

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2008
nph, when are you getting your machine?

I would like to hear your feedback regarding the lines. I myself believe that "ALL" revB screens are defective but the lines are more apparent on some screens than others.

I have seen the variation but I have never seen a perfect screen on revB! In addition to the lines, there is always this light bleeding on top and bottom of the screen. I do not know what Apple did, but it seems that they went for the cheapest available screens on the market unlike revA which came with a sexy screen, external screen connectors and sexy box, but it had its own share of issues :(

jackfrost123

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2008
Thanks!
Rev B 128SSD
Mine is 9C9A. The screen is perfect no lines, and no flicker. Also I bought mine from Amazon. It's production week 48. According to coconut it was built between 11-24 and 11-30 in Shanghai.

hey, what's coconut?

zer0tails

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
Canada
nph, when are you getting your machine?

I would like to hear your feedback regarding the lines. I myself believe that "ALL" revB screens are defective but the lines are more apparent on some screens than others.

I have seen the variation but I have never seen a perfect screen on revB! In addition to the lines, there is always this light bleeding on top and bottom of the screen. I do not know what Apple did, but it seems that they went for the cheapest available screens on the market unlike revA which came with a sexy screen, external screen connectors and sexy box, but it had its own share of issues :(

you need to see mine :) I personally think it's the luck of the draw. I've seen several with lines and even the first rev. B i bought had the lines. But eventually you get lucky i guess. I bought mine from the Eaton Center Apple store in Toronto, Canada.

nph

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 9, 2005
just waiting for some gift cards I am about to get from Amazon and then I will pull the trigger.

justit

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2007
I wonder if Apple would exchange one of the line manifested revB screens with an older revA screen, or maybe they would not work for some reason :rolleyes:

Nope. I asked to have my Rev B switched to a Rev A screen. The reply "They are different displays." I cracked open both versions and the connectors seem to be the same. I knew I'd be returning my lines Rev B so I didn't go through the risky take-apart process. You have to take the whole thing apart to finally get to the monitor.

mhnajjar

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2008
Nope. I asked to have my Rev B switched to a Rev A screen. The reply "They are different displays." I cracked open both versions and the connectors seem to be the same. I knew I'd be returning my lines Rev B so I didn't go through the risky take-apart process. You have to take the whole thing apart to finally get to the monitor.

I know that they are different models, but they should fit. Apple lied to you then :rolleyes:

You should have taken it apart since you know what you were doing :)

mhnajjar

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2008
you need to see mine :) I personally think it's the luck of the draw. I've seen several with lines and even the first rev. B i bought had the lines. But eventually you get lucky i guess. I bought mine from the Eaton Center Apple store in Toronto, Canada.

Would you sell me your machine? :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.