PDA

View Full Version : Man - 'Bailout Bill' - hands out cash in New York

edesignuk
Feb 4, 2009, 09:09 AM
Imagine getting £35 for doing absolutely nothing. Well in New York, a man is giving away stacks of cash to anyone who's prepared to stand in line for it.

The mystery man, who calls himself 'Bailout Bill', says in the middle of an economic crisis ordinary Americans who are struggling to make ends meet deserve a bailout.

In order to get the money people have to go the 'Bailout Booth' in the heart of Manhattan's Times Square.

It's a small cubicle, a couple of blocks away from the massive Virgin Megastore.

The minimum anyone can get is $50 (£35). The maximum is $5,000 (£3,513).

No matter who you are or what you do Bailout Bill guarantees that you'll get something if you just show up and tell your story. BBC (http://news.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/hi/newsbeat/newsid_7869000/7869277.stm).

ravenvii
Feb 4, 2009, 12:50 PM
Man I wish I'm in New York right now.

Methinks San Francisco needs a Bailout Bill more than New York does. :p

99MustangGTman
Feb 4, 2009, 01:56 PM
Thats freakin' awesome!

Abstract
Feb 4, 2009, 02:26 PM
Wow, I want to shake that man's hand......and find money in it.

Martin C
Feb 4, 2009, 08:23 PM
Maybe I'll check it out this weekend...

angelneo
Feb 4, 2009, 08:53 PM
What's the website he's promoting? I can't find the link anywhere.

Unspeaked
Feb 6, 2009, 04:20 PM
What's the website he's promoting? I can't find the link anywhere.

I don't know the link, but basically the company that is running this is an internet startup that is a cross between a bank and eBay (though some people would argue eBay is a lot like a band already, but that's a story for another thread).

To put it in simple terms, you find some stuff you want to sell. You go to the site and say "Hey, I think my stuff is worth $250!" They say, "Ok, here's a $250 interest free loan. Put your stuff up and sell it. If you haven't got the $250 back to us in two weeks, the clock starts ticking on interest."

So it's eBay if eBay gave you the final sale price upfront. At least that's how I understood it...

Consultant
Feb 6, 2009, 04:57 PM
I don't know the link, but basically the company that is running this is an internet startup that is a cross between a bank and eBay (though some people would argue eBay is a lot like a band already, but that's a story for another thread).

To put it in simple terms, you find some stuff you want to sell. You go to the site and say "Hey, I think my stuff is worth $250!" They say, "Ok, here's a $250 interest free loan. Put your stuff up and sell it. If you haven't got the $250 back to us in two weeks, the clock starts ticking on interest."

So it's eBay if eBay gave you the final sale price upfront. At least that's how I understood it...

Sounds like short term loan which has very high interest rate and unregulated.

Schtumple
Feb 6, 2009, 07:04 PM
Sounds like short term loan which has very high interest rate and unregulated.

Sounds like a recipe for recession 2.0...

freebooter
Feb 7, 2009, 07:42 AM
I was at a food court in a mall in Edmonton (Canada) and observed a stylish young woman get out of a limo that had just pulled up. She entered the food court and started handing everyone she met a 10 dollar bill. This was a long time ago (in the 80s) and so I can't remember why I didn't hustle over and get some cash. I think I was too shy to step into her path. :p
I think some rich people sometimes feel guilty...

Unspeaked
Feb 7, 2009, 02:24 PM
Ok, I found the actual site Bailout Bill is promoting: Bailout Booth (http://www.bailoutbooth.com/)

From the site:

BailoutBooth.comô! is a brand new creative website bringing a fresh modern twist to Classified Advertising. As we say, classified advertising for a new generation.

By making the most of the facilities we all have either at home, at work or in an easily accessible area such as the local library or internet cafe BailoutBooth.comô brings the art of video advertising a big leap forward in a way that can be used by everyone no matter how much experience you may (or may not) have.

Within the site there are eight main sections which are all easy to navigate, simple to set up and straightforward to manage.

Our aim is to create an avenue whereby we can help you to help yourself, smoothly providing a portal into the world of video advertising.

If you have any questions or comments please access the contact us section and email us with your thoughts.

Kind Regards and Happy Clicking!

BailoutBooth.comô

I'd love to know if any of you actually understand a word of that...!