Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crazyates

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2008
Hello. I've been following Macrumors for over a year now, but I've never posted before. Now i've got a question, and I was hoping someone could help me out.

My dad is NOT an apple fan, and loves his 160-192kbps wma music collection. He's got about 50-60GB of music shared between him, my mom, and the rest of the family. All of it is on one computer, and it's accessed by the other computers over the network (with backups, of course).

The problem is that the rest of my family use iPods, ranging from 1st Gen nanos to to 5.5Gen Videos to iTouches. iTunes will convert wma to mp3, but my dad doesn't want to do that, citing loss of quality and the sheer time it would take as his reasons. He also doesn't want to have duplicates of every song, due to the size of his collection.

So what he's been doing now is keeping his central library, but storing parts of that library on the laptop in mp3 for the ipods. They add and delete stuff from iTunes as they need, but the laptop doesn't have a really big hard drive.

What my dad would like is a media program (not iTunes) that can access the wma library, act as a normal media player, and then convert the wma to mp3 for putting it on the ipod. I know muliple programs can do this, but he wants it to automatically throw away the new mp3 after it's on the ipod. This will take longer, but he'll be happy because he won't have dulicates, and he can keep his wma format.

Does anyone know of a program that can do this? I've looked around for a couple of alternatives to iTunes, but none of them specifically advertise this feature. Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.