PDA

View Full Version : Net chatbots to catch paedophiles

edesignuk
Mar 18, 2004, 05:51 AM
Smart software is being used to fool paedophiles into thinking they are talking to children in net chatrooms.

To make itself sound plausible in net chatrooms the software scours the net for current references to pop and youth culture, New Scientist magazine reports

If the "nanniebot" software spots signs of paedophile activity, it sends out an alert to its creators.

The chatbot has already been used in many chatrooms and its creator claims that, so far, no-one has caught it out.
Full Article. (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/3520834.stm)

What an amazing piece of software! And has a really great use, to catch these bastards!!!

stoid
Mar 18, 2004, 06:25 AM
I hope that by time I get around to raising a family :eek: that all this will be to a point that I don't have to allow them privacy in their lives without worrying that some sick freak is going to take advantage of them.

Dippo
Mar 18, 2004, 10:24 AM
I just hope that parents won't start relying too much on software. They still need to keep and eye on what they are doing online.

Raid
Mar 18, 2004, 10:56 AM
I just hope that parents won't start relying too much on software. They still need to keep and eye on what they are doing online.
I agree Dippo, many parents today seem to pass off the responsiblity of parenting to other (or inanimate objects like computers, or TV's).

When I first heard of this software I thought it was a great idea, but I have concerns on how 'real' the conversation would be. Maybe it's because I can remember the Elisa program and how formulaic that was, but I hope these sicko's don't catch on that it's a program they are talking to. I bet they are only using this program as bait and once they get a nibble, it logs the username and ip and a cop would start posing as the child. You would need a person at some point to avoid an entrapment argument and to keep the conversation more real.

I hope this works, these people need help and children need to be protected!

question fear
Mar 18, 2004, 12:02 PM
i will be interested in seeing how the arrests work out with something like this...i know there was an article a while back in the ny times about detectives posing as kids to trap pedophiles and how difficult it was to execute legally, becuase if they offer to meet the guy its entrapment...i wonder how the programs are written to dodge problems like that...

srobert
Mar 18, 2004, 12:23 PM
Who knows... maybe even this thread is a net-nanny trap...

poopyhead
Mar 18, 2004, 04:40 PM
Who knows... maybe even this thread is a net-nanny trap...

who cares as long as it works.

May scummy bastards the world round type in fear. And may they, once caught, be abused by yet another with a special hatred for their ilk.

srobert
Mar 18, 2004, 04:56 PM
who cares as long as it works.

May scummy bastards the world round type in fear. And may they, once caught, be abused by yet another with a special hatred for their ilk.

Hear Hear!

wdlove
Mar 18, 2004, 05:01 PM

I agree. There is nothing better to prevent this and other problems, is to have parent involvement in what the child views on the Web.

gwuMACaddict
Mar 18, 2004, 07:35 PM
I agree. There is nothing better to prevent this and other problems, is to have parent involvement in what the child views on the Web.

exactly... but the technology is pretty cool... i wonder if they could use this kind of stuff for AI?

MrMacMan
Mar 21, 2004, 12:07 AM
/methinks this software will catch more horny teenagers then pedophiles. (spelled differently?)

Meh.

If it works it works... Just another method of deception, soon everything will be faked.

TimDaddy
Mar 21, 2004, 12:26 AM
i will be interested in seeing how the arrests work out with something like this...i know there was an article a while back in the ny times about detectives posing as kids to trap pedophiles and how difficult it was to execute legally, becuase if they offer to meet the guy its entrapment...i wonder how the programs are written to dodge problems like that...

A thirty-something guy that used to work at my plant was chatting with who he thought was a fifteen year old girl in Ohio. He drove to Ohio to meet her after work one Friday night. She was an FBI agent. I don't know who made the suggestion that they meet. Entrapment or conviction is no longer an issue. He bonded out and committed suicide.