Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Silver-Fox

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 8, 2007
England
Hi

Itunes downloaded the new update and it tried to install it on my ipod touch, but it wont, and when i try to recover it i get "unkown error 2006" any one have any suggestions???

Thanks

thisistj1234

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2009
probably defect?

i tried everything that apple says to do but it still doesnt work, this only poped up when my friend tried to jailbreak my iphone (he has done his b4, i kept failing) when i tried i got error 21, that fix was a usb hub, i think error 2006 is a defect, im going to get a new fone 2nite

djzafa

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2009
Re:

I had the same problem, after multiple attempts I had the same error. I even tried a different mac.
Finally I tried using a different USB Cable and it worked. So something to try would be using a newer USB Cable, I heard that apple changed their pin configuration from some of the older gen iPods. Maybe that was the problem.

Bobailey

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2009
iTunes (2006) Error

I had the same problem, after multiple attempts I had the same error. I even tried a different mac.
Finally I tried using a different USB Cable and it worked. So something to try would be using a newer USB Cable, I heard that apple changed their pin configuration from some of the older gen iPods. Maybe that was the problem.

This is correct. I had two cables I tried for the iPhone. One was an older two buttons on side iPod plug the other was my iPhone plug. Crazy as it sounds the older plug with the two buttons on the side caused the error. The newer one worked perfect.

rackzilla

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2010
Iphone 2006 error

I had the same success but the only thing I did differently was I used the iphone dock and used the same chord and it worked like a charm. (instead of going straight into the phone)

Yiako

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2010
Spain
Same here too. I had a 2006 error, so I updated Itunes, rebooted the Mini... and at last the thing that worked was just to disconnect the USB extensor that I had plugged the original USB cable to, and connect it directly to the mac.

Naito3

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2010
Yeah i had the same problem too. i tried loads of things, like restarting to reinstalling but the iPod still wouldn't restore and came up with error 2006. i then changed the cable as many of the comments above said to try, and wow it works.

If this problem happens, just change the cable or connect it directly to the Mac or the Pc

Thanks

fieldresearcher

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2010
same problem, but no result

i have a 3rd gen Ipod touch 8gig

recently stopped turning on by pressing either the home or hold/off button.
however during this time it would still work when it was plugged into a portable speaker dock

when i connect it to my computer (recently old MacBookpro) it would not appear in itunes.

i did the "hold the home button while you connect the USB" thing and the itunes and usb chord graphic came up on the screen and everything but when i try to restore and update to the new 4.0 OS I get the unknown error 2006

i have now tried a couple different usb chords and even tried a different computer to no avail.

any progress on this frustrating problem other than using a different chord?

elcid1963

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2010
2006 error Mac Help

Upon purchasing new apps for my ipod I was encouraged to update it which I foolishly did. This disabled my entire ipod. I called support and spoke with people from the Philippines to Idaho. I spent 5 hours with tech people and their supervisors. Note that (2006) is not a common problem to Mac and no one knew the error code existed. They tried everything even installing an entire new itunes. Nothing helped. Oh, they also charged me $30 to fix the unfixable problem they had created. Finally they told me nothing could be done it was my computer's fault. However, they said if I had another computer I should try that one and it should work. I tried my laptop. Same problem (2006) error and when you try to fix it after a half an hour the (2006) error comes up.

I would advise anyone who is asked to update their ipod to pass until Mac tech support finds out what is disabling the ipods. I appreciate the cord advise here on the forum. None of my connections worked but I shall go and buy another cord tomorrow just on the hopes that it might work. Any other advise would be appreciated.

jamshid

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2007
Try replacing USB cable

My iPad stopped sync'ing after my beta iOS 4.2 expired, and I couldn't get it to restore. Kept getting error 2006 or error 1604. After some searching I saw recommendations to check the usb cable. Didn't think that would be it, since cable has worked for years, but sure enough that fixed it.

altomic

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2007
I was getting this error with my ipod touch using a standard 1 meter cable I got off ebay for a couple of bucks. tried different computers, mac and PC, tried other cables.
finally i bought a short 15 cm cable off some HK site. this worked perfectly.

with the old/long cables it could have been greater impedance of the longer cord combined with low quality.

the shorter cable maybe had lower impedance (? - just a guess but it worked.)

edit- just finished restoring my old iphone which had resisted any restoration over the last 6 months on 4 different computers(both mac and pc), using different long cables.

I think the shorter cable is the winner. i got it for 1cent from a HK site which was having an opening special. it's been sitting in my draw for a while and I just pulled it out as it is the only cable I hadn't used to try and restore my ipod + iphone.

I'm pretty stoked.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.