Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KRistianJensby

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 21, 2009
Denmark
So i picked up my 1st mac in November, primary for school (and WoW).
It ran perfectly with only minor problems with getting used to OS X, but lately it have started to turn really, really hot when playing WoW (all graphix on low!!) and Counter-Strike with CrossOver. Even when i browse the web i now hear the fan a bit, where it ran completely silent.
I googled a bit, and found out that there sometimes is a piece of plastic in the vent, to prevent dust at the factories, but that's not the case.
It is the 2,4 unibody model if it makes a diffrence.
And i admit that it have been lying on my bed, playing movies alot when i couldn't fall asleep.

So my questions are:
Have anyone else experienced this, and/or is it normal?
Can it be fixed?
Should i call AppleCare?

Stachelsk

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2008
It ran perfectly with only minor problems with getting used to OS X, but lately it have started to turn really, really hot when playing WoW (all graphix on low!!) and Counter-Strike with CrossOver. Even when i browse the web i now hear the fan a bit, where it ran completely silent.
I googled a bit, and found out that there sometimes is a piece of plastic in the vent, to prevent dust at the factories, but that's not the case.
And i admit that it have been lying on my bed, playing movies alot when i couldn't fall asleep.

So my questions are:
Can it be fixed?
Should i call AppleCare?

It's not damaged. Might be a little dusty inside there. Use smcFanControl to rev up the fan speed, or consider purchasing CoolBook. Either way, it's fine.

nufanec

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2005
It's not advisable to use it on your bed. It blocks the vent and can cause the MacBook to heat up quicker than it should. If you have to, get a tray of some sort that it can sit on.

The fans do always run and I can hear mine slightly in a quiet room. They are pretty quiet, but not silent.

By the way, the 2.4 unibody can easily handle WOW on full graphics. I've got the 15" MBP unibody and in general the 9400 will handle full graphics and full resolution perfectly (for WOW).

Solemony

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2008
Wonderland

So my questions are:
Can it be fixed?
Should i call AppleCare?

Putting on the bed could block the vent and prevent airflow to your MB and remember that playing WoW uses huge amount of CPU's and considering that you are playing it for quite a long time..I assume?

KRistianJensby

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 21, 2009
Denmark
By the way, the 2.4 unibody can easily handle WOW on full graphics. I've got the 15" MBP unibody and in general the 9400 will handle full graphics and full resolution perfectly (for WOW).

It can handle it, but it gets so hot, that it closes WoW, or freezes the whole computer.

KRistianJensby

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 21, 2009
Denmark
Putting on the bed could block the vent and prevent airflow to your MB and remember that playing WoW uses huge amount of CPU's and considering that you are playing it for quite a long time..I assume?

I would play for a long time, if I haven't had to take a break every 30 mins. because it gets so hot.

FYI I do not play games with my MacBook on my bed, but I do watch videos and surf the web.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.