Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dr Fred Bob

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 4, 2009
England
I hope I've posted this in the most suited Forum.

I've only had my Mac since last Summer so I'm not an expert yet, I recently downloaded Escape From Monkey Island and when I click the Installer icons it says I need Classic, I understand from reading other forums this particular Mac won't use Classic (is that right?) So I was wondering if anyone else has tried this and succeeded and could possiblly give me some pointers on how to be a Mighty Pirate* (Monkey Island reference) on my Mac as well!

I'm using a MacBook Pro 10.5.5

Cheers, Fred Bob :D

JackAxe

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2004
In a cup of orange juice.
You're going to have run an old OS 9 emulator, which I have no idea about which is best. :eek: I think there were a few threads here about old Mac OS emulators.

I found this link:
http://uneasysilence.com/archive/2006/08/7352/

Classic only works on PowerPCs, but I know for a fact that MK4 won't run under it on any thing newer than a G4. I own both a Mac and PC copy and tried getting my Mac version to run the other year.

I checked ScummVM to see if it works and it's not listed.

Beric

macrumors 68020
Jan 22, 2008
Bay Area
Sheepshaver is the best OS 9 Emulation out there. Easy to set up. I've played Monkey Island 1 and 2 on it already; haven't moved on to 3 & 4 yet. A great series.

JackAxe

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2004
In a cup of orange juice.
Hey Beric,

Why not use ScummVM instead? For MK 1 - 3 and any other Lucas Arts GA that's not 3D, it's great.

http://www.scummvm.org/

I have it on my Macs, my PCs, my Nokia N70, my Nintendo DS, and as soon as they JailBreak the Touch 2G, I'm putting it on there. Playing The Digg on my iPod will be awesome -- it's my favorite LArts graphic adventure.

It's really easy to use for the most part. For example to get The Dig working, or any CD based game, I just put my CD in the drive and it shows up in ScummVM's launcher. For my portables, I had to copy out the hidden files and prep the voice over in a MP3, but it was still straight forward.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.