Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jeff E

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 5, 2008
Hello..

I have an issue with a site I created in Dreamweaver. It shows great in FF and Safari but however IE is a mess. I have cleared up most of them but one.

I created the nav bar in Fireworks and brought it into Dreamweaver. No problems except with the flash video. The Drop down menu goes behind the flash video only in IE.
Here is the site - http://icselectric.com/

I have done some reading and have found that people have said to add
wmode= transparent . Im not much of a CSS guys so I added it here... actually in 2 places..

<object classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=9,0,28,0" width="900" height="300" title="opening">
<param name="movie" value="Video/opening_flash.swf" />
<param name="quality" value="high" wmode="transparent"/>
<embed src="Video/opening_flash.swf" width="900" height="300" quality="high" wmode="transparent" pluginspage="http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/download.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"></embed>
</object>

I am pretty lost here.. any ideas??

Thanks
Jeff

SrWebDeveloper

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Alexandria, VA, USA
I have two solutions for you:

First:

<param name="quality" value="high" wmode="transparent"/> looks wrong in your code (seems your object and embed syntax got intermingled)

Remove the wmode="transparent" from that param tag.
Below that add a new tag: <param name="wmode" value="transparent" />

Second:

Use the CSS "z-index" property, set it to 2 for your dropdown menu CSS where applicable (the main div that wraps it or the UL if it's that type of menu) and 1 for both the Flash object and embed tags via a style attribute (style="z-index: 2"). You can use any values you want so long as the dropdown menu z-index value is greater than the Flash's value.

-jim

ChicoWeb

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2004
California
It's going to be a combination of Transparent and Z Index. You're on the right track I'm just not sure if you want to use that code to display your flash.

Jeff E

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 5, 2008
Dang.. You guys Rock!!! Thank you so much...

And I edited code.. :) Its not that I have never worked with the CSS code but I rarely go there for the fear of mucking it up.

Thanks again for making this clear to me.

Jeff E

Jenzing

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2009
Problems with drop down menu....

Hi...

I'm beginner in DW. I'm currently facing the same problem as jeff, the only difference is my drop down menu was created using the spry collapsible panel in DW. I've tried the z-index method, it only works great in safari but not in IE. In IE the drop down menu is falling behind the flash movie, can anyone help me to solve this?

Well, i know so little about coding, that's why i'm not quite understand what u guys meant to in insert the <param"transparent"> thingee...??!! HELP!!!

One more thing, how can i open the drop down menu when i mouseover it? Coz now i have to click to open the drop down. Can anyone help??!!!

Thank u so much....:)

jenz

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.