Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

keyboardmyface

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 4, 2009
HI,

I have a NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT in my Mac Pro, and I want to add another graphics card with an HDMI port so I can hook up my TV. I was wondering if anyone has setup a dual graphics card configuration in their mac that were not identical cards?

I'm researching the ASUS EN9500GT TOP/DI/512M GeForce 9500 GT (Newegg Item#:N82E16814121267). Does anyone know if this card is supported on the mac, or know of an hdmi card that is compatible for the mac?

Thanks in advance for reading and advice!

illegallydead

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2007
Colorado!!!
You know they make DVI to HDMI adapters, right?

+1.

You are basically looking for an expensive fix to a cheap problem... Just get the adapter (or cable, whatever works better for you)

[EDIT]
oh, and keep in mind that if you go this route, you will still need to hook up the sound separately since (most) video cards don't output sound, even on pure HDMI. None output sound through DVI, since it is obviously not capable of such...

Also, some HDTV's have a VGA "PC" connection designed exactly for hooking up a computer. Not sure if your card has VGA or just DVI, I'm no Mac Pro expert... I output video from my Macbook to my HDTV in this manner and it looks great
[/EDIT]

keyboardmyface

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 4, 2009
Yes I'm aware of the adapters. I currently have 2 DVI monitors connected to the graphics card in there right now. So I'm looking to buy an additional card to expand my tv as a third monitor. Are you suggesting it would be a less complicated solution to just get another GeForce 7300 GT and use an adapter?

illegallydead

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2007
Colorado!!!
Yes I'm aware of the adapters. I currently have 2 DVI monitors connected to the graphics card in there right now. So I'm looking to buy an additional card to expand my tv as a third monitor. Are you suggesting it would be a less complicated solution to just get another GeForce 7300 GT and use an adapter?

Most likely. It will be easier to find a compatible card without constraining yourself to ones with HDMI.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.