Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bkw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2009
Hey all,

I've got two questions that I'm hoping those of you out there may help with.

It appears that a few eBay sellers are selling AV cables for 2.2 firmware (click for link)

Anyone try one of these? I've done a bunch of searching and research, but I havent seen any products that specifically state that it works and is tested for 2.2 firmware - like the one in the link above does.

And my last question - can you charge and play video at the same time with the genuine Apple AV cable accessory? As it appears that charging and playing is not recommended in the ebay item above.

I'll be streaming video to the overhead screen for my kids to watch movies - but not being able to charge and play at the same time will limit the length of our planned road trips.

Thanks!

Habakuk

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2007
Vienna Austria Europe
And my last question - can you charge and play video at the same time with the genuine Apple AV cable accessory?

As far as I understand manual (see the two screenshots in the attachment), product description and Apple sales person on the phone - yes, you should be able to play video and charge at the same time with the Apple AV cables with no need of additional computers. That's why the cables cost so much, there comes a complete charger shipped with. Exactly the same practical thing that comes shipped with your iPhone. One of the smallest power adapters existing.

Although I have other problems with this cable (composite version, as mentioned already recently here at MR - no video but only audio) I can confirm that I could plug the cable end with the USB connector to the power adapter and it played audio. Obviously the iDevice charged the same time.

BTW I've tried it (with iPhone and iTunes): You can use the USB-part of the AV cable even for syncing with a computer.

As it appears that charging and playing is not recommended in the ebay item above.

The iPhone's and iTouch's video out options seem to be some of the most hidden and intransparent features in the complete Apple world. And it seems that almost nobody uses it.

Attachments

• Apple Composite AV Cable1.jpg
    Apple Composite AV Cable1.jpg
    548.7 KB · Views: 82
  • Apple Composite AV Cable2.jpg
    Apple Composite AV Cable2.jpg
    511.4 KB · Views: 84
  • Apple Composite AV Cable3.jpg
    Apple Composite AV Cable3.jpg
    362.3 KB · Views: 81

bkw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2009
Thank you thank you thank you thank you!!

I spent a solid hour googling the manual yesterday!

So it looks like I'll be making a trip to my local apple store afterall.

Cancelled
Aug 25, 2008
read the guys feedback on this item ( you have to search a bit)

Iphone 3g cables

"Product was not ideal, and seller took professional care of it."

looks like it probably doesn't work

I really wish I could get a sticky to my thread

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/597640/

I will just give you this advice

I spent a fair amount of money testing about 5 cables.

The only ones that worked

a) apple av cables that were also able to charge cost = $50
b) Schosche cables didn't charge but worked 100% cost = $40

i do not recommend any ebay cables.. as none have worked for me for over 90 seconds

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.