Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jdstoddard

macrumors member
Original poster
May 27, 2003
USA
Am I being scammed????

Ok, so I won an auction from a popular online auction site (not sure if I can mention names, but you all know it). It was for a Macbook 2.0 Aluminum, $1095 shipped. Brand new, sealed in box.

It took the seller about a day and a half to respond to my emails. Finally, he wrote back telling me that he would be unable to send the laptop until the weekend (this was on Wed). I was bummed, but still thought okay. I wrote him back, told him that would be fine as long as it went out over the weekend because I am leaving on vacation next week.

He then writes back and tries to sell me a Sony Vaio for the same price. I reply, tell him no. (At this point I've contacted eBay asking for clarification if this falls under deceptive business practices). He then tells me that the reason for the delay is a connection that "works for a main distributor" that gets him laptops on overstock. He said he should hear later today or tomorrow.

he then writes again and tells me that he understands my situation and needs the sale as much as I need the laptop. He told me that the guys in the warehouse are extremely busy with the closing of Circuit City so they have extra work.

HERE IS THE KICKER:

He just asked me (instead of PayPal) to overnight him a money order for $1200 and he would buy a new one and he would "eat" the $200 difference himself. I replied, told him I think its better that I not purchase this (I can get a refurb for $1090+tax from Apple). He has now come back with the same offer but at $1100.

WHAT DO I DO??!!!! Should I call eBay? The seller has 15 feedback, all positive but has not been a seller too long. I'm afraid of toasting my feedback. Suggestions? Thank you all.:confused:

EDIT:: Ugh, AUCTION not aution....just stressed about this.

themoonisdown09

macrumors 601
Nov 19, 2007
Georgia, USA
I would contact eBay and tell them about the situation. I wouldn't buy it from this guy because of what's happened so far. I'm sure there is a way to get out of the sale.

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2008
i sold a laptop recently on ebay and the funds were pending until i was able to show proof of the sent item with a tracking number.

i believe this is a new policy with paypal when buying/selling computers.

you definately don't want to over night the money, use paypal.

better safe than sorry.

mcpryon2

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2008
Make sure you report this person to eBay, especially for trying to complete the sale outside of eBay. You are not obligated to buy from this person now and you will get out of the auction commitment, just make sure you report it.

Oh, and don't worry about your feedback, sellers can't leave negative feedback anymore. As a seller, don't even get me started on this.

But, yeah, absolutely do not send send a money order, this is 100% a scam, I guarantee you. Report him, put it in your past, then find the item somewhere else.

claimed4all

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2008
That sounds like a scam and a half. Let ebay know. If you sent him any money via paypal, let them know too.

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
Am I being scammed????

.....He just asked me (instead of PayPal) to overnight him a money order for $1200 and he would buy a new one and he would "eat" the $200 difference himself. I replied, told him I think its better that I not purchase this (I can get a refurb for $1090+tax from Apple). He has now come back with the same offer but at $1100.....

if you send him a money order, you can just prob kiss your money goodbye! DON'T do it!

you deal with him outside of ebay and you lose any protection you might get from ebay.

jdstoddard

macrumors member
Original poster
May 27, 2003
USA
Thanks

I've actually never had this problem on eBay, I've been using it since 1999 too. Every seller I've ever bought from has always replied usually within an hour or two of the auction's close.

The money order is what did it for me, I started smelling a scam when he offered another laptop in lieu of the Macbook. Who the hell wants a Sony anyways? I'll be calling eBay right after work. I have his contact info, anyone in Chicago want to pay a visit? I kid.

Again, thanks to all that responded.

mgclayton

macrumors member
Dec 19, 2007
WHAT DO I DO??!!!! Should I call eBay? The seller has 15 feedback, all positive but has not been a seller too long. I'm afraid of toasting my feedback. Suggestions? Thank you all.:confused:

There is a good chance that he's hijacked this eBay id and it's 'all positive' feedback too.

Marcuse

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2009
All good suggestions... DO NOT send your money. Use only PayPal for this kind of transactions; if the seller does not really ship the item providing proof (tracking number and so on), PayPal will give you a full refund.

And from the look of things and from the kind of replies you got from this guy, I'd say leave him alone and report him to eBay. There is no reason to risk this amount of money, and he honestly sounds more than suspicious.

I have been using eBay for nearly 10 years as well, and I have had my issues with some bad sellers; but with all insurances you get from PayPal AND eBay, I was always able to get my money back... so follow their guidelines, buy from good sellers, and you will risk little more than buying from an online shop.

kd_rome

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2004
I'm afraid of toasting my feedback. Suggestions? Thank you all.:confused:

With the new Ebay Policy (that no one understood...) Sellers can't leave negative feedback anymore, so don't worry about that, but you should at least call eBay and report the fact.

It could leave you a strike for a non paid item, but if you call eBay and explain what happened they'll open a case to investigate.

But why are you worried? As long as you don't send the money you're fine, he can't leave you negative feedback.

econoline06

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2008
Make sure you report this person to eBay, especially for trying to complete the sale outside of eBay. You are not obligated to buy from this person now and you will get out of the auction commitment, just make sure you report it.

Oh, and don't worry about your feedback, sellers can't leave negative feedback anymore. As a seller, don't even get me started on this.

But, yeah, absolutely do not send send a money order, this is 100% a scam, I guarantee you. Report him, put it in your past, then find the item somewhere else.

Theres a good reason sellers can't leave feedback, they were getting the last bad word in when the sales they made were ridiculous to begin with. I had a few VERY bad experiences with Power On computing like that where they blatantly lied in the feedback and I could not respond to it.

Ebay sucks anyway, and their stock price is proof of that. Go use Amazon or another more reputable site. There are just too many scammers on Ebay, especially ones that have like 12,000 + positive feedback ratings (yeah right). If you google this crap you can actually find applications that will falsify your feedback scores for you!

jdstoddard

macrumors member
Original poster
May 27, 2003
USA
Ebay sucks anyway, and their stock price is proof of that. Go use Amazon or another more reputable site. There are just too many scammers on Ebay, especially ones that have like 12,000 + positive feedback ratings (yeah right). If you google this crap you can actually find applications that will falsify your feedback scores for you!

I had no idea they could do that... I actually found the guy's linkedin profile that is connected to the email address he used to contact me. He has like 200 contacts on there, surprised this is domestic, unless someone hacked the guy's email as well.

Moriarty

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2008
Don't give him a cent. I definitely smell a rat.

Do what the others said, tell him to send you the $200!

$1200 isn't small change...

jdstoddard

macrumors member
Original poster
May 27, 2003
USA
Reported to eBay, item was pulled from my history and is null & void.

Live and learn...buying the refurb for sure now :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.