PDA

View Full Version : Linksys Router and Alu Macbook pro config security issue

gixxerredliner
Feb 5, 2009, 02:27 PM
Ok so i had my friends white book and when i opened the air port it found the linksys wireless G router i had had connected but it didnt ask me for the password. I know i set a password for the linksys router because when i log on using my HP it ask me for the password.

Question is what did i do wrong? or are the linksys wireless routers not the best things to use with the mac? I plan to get a Alu macbook weds and need to know what else i need to purchase thanks.

sporadicMotion
Feb 5, 2009, 02:43 PM
Ok so i had my friends white book and when i opened the air port it found the linksys wireless G router i had had connected but it didnt ask me for the password. I know i set a password for the linksys router because when i log on using my HP it ask me for the password.

Question is what did i do wrong? or are the linksys wireless routers not the best things to use with the mac? I plan to get a Alu macbook weds and need to know what else i need to purchase thanks.

the password was saved

MooneyFlyer
Feb 5, 2009, 02:44 PM
I've got a linksys router that asks me for the password from my Alu MB... so, I'm not sure what is going on. Had you already logged into the box and it hadn't had time to timeout the security when you went back in? That's the only thing I can think of..

om3ga785
Feb 5, 2009, 02:44 PM
Go into your routers setup page in safari or firefox. usually it's (192.168.1.1) for your gateway IP but might be different and check the wireless security settings. is it on WEP or WPA2 Wifi Protected Access?

And your not referring to the password for getting into the router right?

Make sure your connecting to the right SSID too. alot of people leave the SSID with the defalt "linksys" name and if there are alot of other routers in range that have the same SSID, that can cause an issue.

just my suggestions...

gixxerredliner
Feb 5, 2009, 02:48 PM
I've got a linksys router that asks me for the password from my Alu MB... so, I'm not sure what is going on. Had you already logged into the box and it hadn't had time to timeout the security when you went back in? That's the only thing I can think of..

The funny thing is i named my router(American Gangster) so when i go on to the mac to look at what available signals i can leap onto. I see 15 because i live in an apartment and i see mines but it just says (linksys) not the american gangster name i gave it, and it doesnt ask for a password. But i know its password protected, if i ever get logged off on my HP it says "please enter passcode to connect with the router" but on the macbook it shows up "linksys" with no password options

NewMacbookPlz
Feb 5, 2009, 03:42 PM
The funny thing is i named my router(American Gangster) so when i go on to the mac to look at what available signals i can leap onto. I see 15 because i live in an apartment and i see mines but it just says (linksys) not the american gangster name i gave it, and it doesnt ask for a password. But i know its password protected, if i ever get logged off on my HP it says "please enter passcode to connect with the router" but on the macbook it shows up "linksys" with no password options

That means it's connecting to somebody else's network, titled "Linksys"