PDA

View Full Version : Will Snow Leopard run okay on the current 2.4GHz Aluminium Macbook?

domcole
Feb 5, 2009, 02:56 PM
As the title says really.

I'm purchasing the 2.4GHz Macbook in April and I would probably want to run Snow Leopard in the future on that laptop.

Do you think it would run okay? I would probably put it on late 2009 if it is released in July time this year.

Any help would be appreciated.

Sky Blue
Feb 5, 2009, 02:58 PM
Yes, it'll run fine.

aaquib
Feb 5, 2009, 03:00 PM
Of course! Snow Leopard focuses on reducing the size of the overall footprint of the OS, and simply speeding things up. It'll not only run on your MacBook, but you will notice a performance boost.

Arnenys
Feb 5, 2009, 03:02 PM
Of course it will run okay!

Moriarty
Feb 5, 2009, 03:03 PM
Snow Leopard will work on any intel Mac, and faster than Leopard.

Word has it that PPC support will be dropped though...

joshysquashy
Feb 5, 2009, 03:09 PM
I could understand your concern if you had an iBook, but of course any recent hardware will run fine!!!

Apple rarely add bloat to their releases, and if they do, it is optional (eg dashboard could be considered an extra unnecessary resource). It is a very modular system that doesn't keep resources tied to inactive processes.

Your laptop should be good for at least the next 3 major OS releases.

domcole
Feb 5, 2009, 03:10 PM
Hi,

Thanks all for the quick replies. I just wanted to make sure I could buy now and update later rather than waiting till later on in the year to get Snow Leopard.

Could anyone explain what PPC support is?

themoonisdown09
Feb 5, 2009, 03:12 PM
Hi,

Thanks all for the quick replies. I just wanted to make sure I could buy now and update later rather than waiting.

Could anyone explain what PPC support is?

The older Macs (before Intel) used different processor architecture referred to as PowerPC (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powerpc). So the G5's, G4's, G3's, etc were PowerPC.

domcole
Feb 5, 2009, 03:18 PM
The older Macs (before Intel) used different processor architecture referred to as PowerPC (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powerpc). So the G5's, G4's, G3's, etc were PowerPC.

Got'cha,

resqguy
Feb 5, 2009, 03:59 PM
And Safari will feel "snappier".
sorry...I think I've been spending too much time in the iPhone threads

sangosimo
Feb 5, 2009, 04:02 PM
yeah it will run but window7 will run better.

dquattlebum
Feb 5, 2009, 04:13 PM

blaspheme.

Patriks7
Feb 5, 2009, 04:18 PM
And Safari will feel "snappier".
sorry...I think I've been spending too much time in the iPhone threads

Haha good one :p
Anyway, like the guys above said, it will work AND provide better performance. From what I understand, Snow Leopard is just focusing on polishing the OS and making it much faster. Hence, why they only changed it to Snow Leopard. I don't know about you guys, but when I think about snow, I think about something clean (ever seen fresh snow in bigger areas? It just looks awesome!) so that's what will happen to the OS.

JamesGorman
Feb 5, 2009, 05:21 PM

lol..your joking right?

nick9191
Feb 5, 2009, 05:28 PM

I'd love to know what you're basing that on since we haven't had any final releases of either OS. In fact there isn't even a public beta of Snow Leopard.