PDA

View Full Version : How Apple TV can score at the big 3.0

MacBytes
Feb 5, 2009, 04:46 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Apple Hardware
Link: How Apple TV can score at the big 3.0 (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20090205174615)
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

Kilamite
Feb 5, 2009, 05:02 PM
Some good points - especially about adding the option of using it to power a projector for Keynote presentations.

But totally disagree completely on the gaming front. The Apple TV will never be targeted at gamers. The iPod and iPhone games are good because they are for on the go boredom killers. On the bus to work, play a wee game. However, the Apple TV will be hooked to this giant screen. And if you are a gamer, you'll most likely have a Playstation, Xbox or maybe a Wii hooked up to that. So even if the Apple TV offered games, you'd take no notice.

Version 3 just needs an interface boost - Boxee looks amazing, but slightly bloated appearing. The Apple TV current interface is simple, but a bit dull. Something in the middle of the two would be awesome.

And I really bloody hope Version 3 enables me to use my iPhone as a keyboard. I deteste with passion entering stuff via the Apple Remote. I hate it, I hate it, I hate it! It gives me sore thumbs searching for stuff..

11thIndian
Feb 5, 2009, 05:18 PM
And I really bloody hope Version 3 enables me to use my iPhone as a keyboard. I deteste with passion entering stuff via the Apple Remote. I hate it, I hate it, I hate it! It gives me sore thumbs searching for stuff..

Uh, it does that now... via the Remote app for iPhone.

Kilamite
Feb 5, 2009, 05:33 PM
Uh, it does that now... via the Remote app for iPhone.

Remote App is just for controlling music, nothing else.

I want to be able to use my iPhone keyboard for searching videos, YouTube, Podcasts etc.

LeviG
Feb 5, 2009, 05:42 PM
Agree with the basics of the above, gaming isn't really worth it and I've said it before the ATV really needs the ability to show powerpoint/keynote presentations. I'd also say that they need to get the ipod touch etc working as an input device too.

I still haven't seen the point in the ATV because its lacking in an area which is typical apple really and thats codecs/containers out of the box. I personally encode my films in mkv (and then a smaller more ipod friendly size - hd's are cheap these days) due to the support for multiple languages and subs etc. Now the ATV doesn't support this out of the box so they're wasted.

Personally if I was to make v3 I would add the following
- optional add on programs - similar to the iPhone/touch, for things like mobile me integration, ichat/msn, facebook (or similar), a simple web browser (its plenty powerful enough), online tv stations for example
- add additional codec/container support for video's
- bigger hard drive and allow it to be a media server for airport express, all remotely controlled via the ipod touch/iphone.

millypede
Feb 5, 2009, 05:45 PM

I want to be able to use my iPhone keyboard for searching videos, YouTube, Podcasts etc.

It really does do that, just make sure you goto Remote in TVSettings and Remote, and pair it up, everytime there is a text box the keyboard pops up on the screen.

Very cool

wunderboy
Feb 5, 2009, 06:48 PM
- bigger hard drive and allow it to be a media server for airport express, all remotely controlled via the ipod touch/iphone.

Part of this is done...you can select which speakers the ATV sends to via the iPhone Remote or the IR Remote. I use this to send music to my Express that feeds my whole house amp and control it via ATV. Just like iTunes does on the Mac and Airport Express.

Oh, and the above post is correct about the keyboard support on the iPhone.

I also agree with the game portion...don't know how great that would be. Especially after being spoiled with eye candy on my 360. Agree with the more codec support.

My three things I would like to see...

1. Pandora support...iPhone has it why can't ATV? Already integrated with purchase songs on iTunes.
2. Hulu and other streaming "channels". I would be happy to get rid of my cable box, but why if I have to purchase each episode. Plus my kids wouldn't be too happy losing Cartoon Network. Ad supported wouldn't bother me. Actually, if I knew I could pretty much get anything on demand via ATV, bye bye cable box. Subscription based would be great too...in my mind working like each month pay X amount for Cartoon Network or any specific streaming channels that aren't covered by ad based Hulu.
3. Not Apples issue, but I hope that the recent change with DRM and music on iTunes will spill over to the studios. The restrictions put on Apple and other streaming services should be a thing of the past. If I can rent it from Blockbuster then I should be able to rent it from ATV...the day the DVD comes out.

I am sure I have more, but for some reason I am having a bit of a mental block.

Thanks,

GottaLoveApple4
Feb 5, 2009, 06:49 PM

Sorry to prove you wrong, but it does allow you to search for any of those things. Whenever there is a keyboard present on the TV screen, open up the iPhone/iPod Touch Remote App and a keyboard will pop up.;)

azajohns
Feb 5, 2009, 08:06 PM
I disagree on the optical drive, in a sense. One of the greatest draw cards of the original iPod back in the day was the concept of loading all your old CDs onto it. I'm sure most people these days have accumulated just as large a DVD library which people are not willing to repurchase just to have on their Apple TV. And with DVDs still being the top christmas gift seller (at least in my part of the world) its not something that's going away any time soon. Sure there are ways to rip them, but its by no means as elegant as loading a CD into iTunes, and its certainly not something you could teach your grandmother.
I know this is a DRM issue and movie studios are to blame for the standing in the way of such abilities, but all legalities aside, if the ATV was to ever have the same success as the iPod, it really needs to have that same 'transitional' appeal to the average Joe consumer.
An optical drive which both played and more importantly RIPPED cds and dvds with the simplicity of iTunes would have been a key selling point to the non tech-savvy folk around the world, especially considering many countries didn't and still don't have video on their iTMS. It would have allowed the retirement of the old DVD player (one less box under the TV). It would have given husbands (like me) the ability to convince their wives of the necessity of buying one. It would have opened up the huge market of parents with kids who are tired of having DVDs sprawled across the living room floor getting scratched and walked on daily.
Most importantly, it would have gotten the ATV into more living rooms from the outset, and created the future market for Apple to sell their online content, just as the original iPod did.

ATV was, and still is too big a step for most, at too high a price, with not enough incentive. In time the concept may grow as internet speeds and download limits increase, and prices drop, but for now I think Apple and the movie industry really did themselves a disservice on this one.

DIE DRM DIE! :mad:

Kilamite
Feb 6, 2009, 06:59 AM
Woa, did not know that. Cool! Thanks for pointing that out ;) Either Apple didn't make that clear or I missed it?

wwooden
Feb 6, 2009, 07:25 AM
Woa, did not know that. Cool! Thanks for pointing that out ;) Either Apple didn't make that clear or I missed it?

You weren't the only one who didn't know that, I thought it was just for searching music/movies as well. I'll have to try it out tonight.

Kilamite
Feb 6, 2009, 07:38 AM
You weren't the only one who didn't know that, I thought it was just for searching music/movies as well. I'll have to try it out tonight.

I'm sure it was originally just for Music? v1.0? We're on v1.1.1 now, so maybe that was included later on?

On the App Store, Apple describes the Remote App as:

FEATURES:

- Control the music on iTunes or Apple TV
- See the album art on your Remote
- Create and update Genius playlists
- Edit playlists in iTunes
- Search your whole iTunes library
- Control your AirTunes speakers

No mention of anything else! No wonder I didn't know it could do this ;)

pilotError
Feb 6, 2009, 08:24 AM
Movie rentals are its strong suite along with the flying photos screensaver and the music into the living room.

It's not bad for what it is.

I would like to see iTunes opened up for more codecs. I'd love to see something more along the lines of Boxee. I don't see this happening, but I'd like to see Apple cut a deal with Hulu and maybe ABC.

One thing I would like to see is the Rental period get increased. When I rent kids movies on say a Friday night, The kids want to watch it a few times over the weekend. Three days for rentals should be the norm instead of the 24 hours now.

As for DVR, cable replacement, optical drive, etc. I think it's overkill.

wunderboy
Feb 6, 2009, 10:34 AM
Here, here on longer rental days. From what I understand, Europe gets 48 hours...again, not Apple but the Studios. Why oh why can I have a DVD from Blockbuster for 5 days (longer since they really don't charge a late fee) or practically indefinitely from Netflix and only have a paltry 24 hours from ATV? I honestly think it is a lot of things regarding this digital world. Of course, if we had the same conveniences we get from Blockbuster and Netflix, eventually jobs will be lost. They wouldn't have to produce as many DVD's, rental stores needs would reduce, etc. Of course, this wouldn't happen overnight, but it would happen. Don't forget your On Demand cable box would have these conveniences too. Plus, I think the suits at the studios are just plain down right paranoid about their product being in the cloud. My opinion at least.

One thing I forgot to mention in my above post. ATV SDK would be a BIG boost. Just think about all those creative people out there, heck just look at the iPhone! I could only imagine what the Boxee team could do with that as a tool!!! Sadly, it might never happen...but one can dream!

lftrghtparadigm
Feb 6, 2009, 11:13 AM
That was a well-written article that A LOT of macrumors users need to read, AND comprehend.

So many people have their technology priorities and Apple "demands" way out of whack. A quick read of that article might help some people gain much needed perspective.

mrklaw
Feb 6, 2009, 12:12 PM
wow. that was a badly written article full of opinion dressed up as fact. Possibly one of the worst articles I've read in a long time.

- DVRs are a failure? They've single handedly changed the face of live TV.

- Hulu is on the fringe? Apple might be happy to nickel and dime you to death with every little TV program, but hulu recognises that there are live TV windows, and pay TV windows (eg for collecting). Adding 'live' or VOD style services would definitely add value to appleTV, and help make sense of the mess of boxes competing for that space. Netflix is more of an obvious competitor so apple might want to stay away from that and stick with catchup services like hulu and iplayer.

-bluray is a small bump from DVD, and people are annoyed by the DRM? What the hell is 720p apple proprietary fairplay DRM content then? Jeez.

locust76
Feb 6, 2009, 12:40 PM
I'm sure it was originally just for Music? v1.0? We're on v1.1.1 now, so maybe that was included later on?

No... that feature was there since it came out.

juniormaj
Feb 7, 2009, 12:50 AM
wow. that was a badly written article full of opinion dressed up as fact. Possibly one of the worst articles I've read in a long time.

- DVRs are a failure? They've single handedly changed the face of live TV.

-bluray is a small bump from DVD, and people are annoyed by the DRM? What the hell is 720p apple proprietary fairplay DRM content then? Jeez.

When I read those two in the article, the author started to lose me.
I feel those statements were made by someone who has never used a good DVR or seen (and heard) a properly presented Blu-Ray.

I can't imagine ever getting another DirecTV box that doesn't have a DVR built in. It has completely changed the way I watch television.

And Blu-Ray is far from a small bump from DVD. I would agree that many consumers are not seeing and hearing a difference, but it would likely be because they are either using a TV that's not set up properly, or not connected properly, and most likely don't have a surround receiver capable of PCM/DolbyTrueHD/DTS-HD uncompressed audio.
The benefits (or not) of Blu-Ray are being debated to death all over the place, but that's not my purpose.
I just felt that those 2 blanket statements in the article were way off target. I do understand the reasoning for not including those features in the AppleTV as they don't relate to the main purpose of the device, but going as far to say that Blu-Ray is a minor improvement and DVRs are a failure is just off target.