PDA

View Full Version : Nine-year old whiz-kid writes iPhone application

MacBytes
Feb 5, 2009, 04:46 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: News and Press Releases
Link: Nine-year old whiz-kid writes iPhone application (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20090205174625)
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

calculus
Feb 5, 2009, 04:47 PM
At least half of them look like they were written by five year olds...

Peace
Feb 5, 2009, 04:49 PM
"Fluent in 6 programming languages". Mano Mano. Not bad for a 9 year old!!

KRAPPS
Feb 5, 2009, 04:58 PM
Good for him .. bravo!

MrM
Feb 5, 2009, 05:07 PM
Holy cow. I wonder if anyone has made him any job offers yet... Ha!

rt_brained
Feb 5, 2009, 05:18 PM
At least half of them look like they were written by five year olds...You're giving them far too much credit.

Muncher
Feb 5, 2009, 05:39 PM
Holy cow. I wonder if anyone has made him any job offers yet... Ha!

After this article has been thoroughly circulated, he may very well get a few job offers.

SPUY767
Feb 5, 2009, 08:56 PM
"Whiz Kid" might be a bit of a stretch. I was writing software for the Mac Plus back in 1990.

wheelhot
Feb 5, 2009, 11:53 PM
Not to go against anyone but I remain a skeptic that a 9 year old kid can write an iPhone app, and not to mention fluent in 6 programming languages. Where do he find the time? Dont he hang out with his friends? And master 1 programming language will take a couple of years, how the heck he master 6? Started programming at the age of 4? A person can barely even talk or even read properly at that age. If he is like 16 or something then I can believe, but 9 years old?? I would like to see some proof.

neonblue2
Feb 6, 2009, 06:57 AM
Cool but his skill is blown a bit out of proportion. According to his dad's website his son is an Apple IIGS programmer who has mastered ActionScript (Flash), Javascript, some Pascal variants and some BASIC variants. His knowledge of Objective-C is very little apparently.

Plus his iPhone app is merely a port of one of his Apple IIGS apps.

Not trying to say what he has done isn't incredible (I was nowhere near programming at his age) but the article kinda trumps it up a bit.

yeroen
Feb 6, 2009, 12:48 PM
This feels like stuffing a 3rd grader's jump shot on the court.

seb-opp
Feb 6, 2009, 01:43 PM
"Whiz Kid" might be a bit of a stretch. I was writing software for the Mac Plus back in 1990.

how old are you though?!

zmttoxics
Feb 6, 2009, 03:27 PM
Meh, I was using the computer when I was 2 and programming when I was 11 (11 years ago for me :p).

What people forget is that a Programming Language is still a Language (just like English or French). So just like becoming bilingual as a kid, they can learn a programming language. The biggest hurdle is learning the grammar. After a certain age, the brain stops growing in a certain way, making it extremely hard for a human to learn grammar or new forms of grammar.

The reason you can learn 20 programming languages after learning 1 is that they are all similar in some way. But its hard to know a whole language, you may know the general syntax but to know a whole language and its grammar is a lot of work. I have programmed in something around 20 languages too, but my forte is in C, I KNOW C.

Anyways, my point is, its not spectacular, anyone can have their kids do the same. You just have to start them early.

Muncher
Feb 6, 2009, 04:55 PM
Meh, I was using the computer when I was 2 and programming when I was 11 (11 years ago for me :p).

What people forget is that a Programming Language is still a Language (just like English or French). So just like becoming bilingual as a kid, they can learn a programming language. The biggest hurdle is learning the grammar. After a certain age, the brain stops growing in a certain way, making it extremely hard for a human to learn grammar or new forms of grammar.

The reason you can learn 20 programming languages after learning 1 is that they are all similar in some way. But its hard to know a whole language, you may know the general syntax but to know a whole language and its grammar is a lot of work. I have programmed in something around 20 languages too, but my forte is in C, I KNOW C.

Anyways, my point is, its not spectacular, anyone can have their kids do the same. You just have to start them early.

Exactly. The reason people are so amazed though is because it's not the norm to learn programming before the age of, say, 18 or so (college) if at all. But really, kids have an incredible learning capacity. There are kids who learn morse code because they don't know it's "supposed to be hard."

It's all about your point of view.

Oh, and yeah, I'm best at C too. It just fits my minimalist/zen/engineer mentality towards things.

sushi
Feb 6, 2009, 05:10 PM
At least half of them look like they were written by five year olds...
So true!

"Whiz Kid" might be a bit of a stretch.
Agree with this.

Not to go against anyone but I remain a skeptic that a 9 year old kid can write an iPhone app, and not to mention fluent in 6 programming languages.
Likewise. I am a bit skeptical when they use the term "fluent" to describe his skills.

Anyhow, good for the kid. :)

zmttoxics
Feb 6, 2009, 05:22 PM
Exactly. The reason people are so amazed though is because it's not the norm to learn programming before the age of, say, 18 or so (college) if at all. But really, kids have an incredible learning capacity. There are kids who learn morse code because they don't know it's "supposed to be hard."

It's all about your point of view.

Oh, and yeah, I'm best at C too. It just fits my minimalist/zen/engineer mentality towards things.

What would be interesting to find out is if he knew any core concepts (recursion, data structures, pointers, etc) or even OO concepts (inheritance, polymorphism, etc).
I have a suspicion he did the "google way" of programming on this one.