Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Future iPod Update?

• Audio Input

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Larger Hard Drives

• Remote

• More PDA-Like Functions

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Something Totally Different...

Votes: 3 16.7%

• Total voters

billiam0878

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 15, 2002
Winter Park, FL
Alright, so the iPod has been quite a hit thus far. Over the past eight months Apple has offered more storage, a "contacts" feature and the option of custom engraving. So what's next our iPod?

Bill

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Originally posted by verbose101
I wouldn't be supprised to see some PDA functionality in future iPod firmware updates.

I would be VERY surprised if Apple was to do that. They have a VERY strong music player, with great storage capabilities, and some other abilities. To make ANY kind of pda, you MUST have an input device. Do I see that happening to the iPod... F*ck NO!

Besides the fact that it would totally f*ck up the iPod, I believe that Apple will continue with dedicated devices and NOT make one to do more functions, and do none of them very well.

Get OFF the pda idea from Apple people... not gonna happen, ESPECIALLY with a 'firmware update' to the iPod :rolleyes:

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
I would like to think that the iPod would be used for mp3s, contacts, and an external Hard Drive. But to justify a $400 or $500 price tag I would expect a lot more features.

Currently, I am satisfied with the iPod, but I would like to see a few more features. I want to be able to copy text files to the iPod and have them play with a speech-like sound from the iPod. I would also like to see more games (oh bleeding heck yeah!) on the iPod, such that when you do that trick in the Legal menu (for iPod OS 1.1) you get a menu of games to select from.

About that bleeding heck comment I am listening to Disturbed on the iPod. What sound! :)

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Originally posted by AlphaTech

Get OFF the pda idea from Apple people... not gonna happen, ESPECIALLY with a 'firmware update' to the iPod :rolleyes:
Wo there! Calm down alpha.
I was thinking maybe more interms of extending on the current contacts feature. e.g. Syncing with a diary program etc, maybe not a PDA in the true meaning of the word, but something that could display PDA style info downloaded from your Mac, just a thought :)

Biggles

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2002
Ohio
Yeah, I think that'd work. The iPod could auto-sync with both iTunes and the revamped Address Book of Jaguar. Maybe Apple could eventually add a calender of some sort so that it could be downloaded into the iPod....just some thoughts.

firewire2001

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2002
Hong Kong
i personally think that apple will leave the ipod sort of as is -- i think that they will add a controller, possibly, and *maybe* audio input... however, i dont think that apple will go in the direction of addign contacts, etc.. i think apple's iPod was jus meant to be a simple product - you plug it in, sync tunes, and then play em... i dont think apple is planning on addigng too much to it..

i think that if apple wants to give people a way of having conatcts or whatever, they will do it with another new product - not with the iPod.

Choppaface

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2002
SFBA
it would be cool to see some sort of DVD-RAM/DVD-RW based iPod....although there would prolly be battery issues w/ the DVD drive, at 4.7 gigs a pop and with all new iMacs having super drives it might work well in the future

firewire2001

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2002
Hong Kong
I'd like to see a remote control on the iPod and larger storage, like 20 GB or more!

hey, jus wondering... i hear all you guys interested in a 20gb hd, but why?

my music collection is barely 2 gb, and im chure some ppls are bigger - but not up to 20 gb...

i guess someone might want this for using the iPod with a computer as an hd, but its already cheaper just to buy a 20 gb lacie pocketdrive than an iPod... prices

so what exactly is your reasoning?

Nipsy

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2002
Originally posted by firewire2001

hey, jus wondering... i hear all you guys interested in a 20gb hd, but why?

my music collection is barely 2 gb, and im chure some ppls are bigger - but not up to 20 gb...

i guess someone might want this for using the iPod with a computer as an hd, but its already cheaper just to buy a 20 gb lacie pocketdrive than an iPod... prices

so what exactly is your reasoning?

17441 songs, 41:07:24:16 total time, 64.54 GB

Granted, I probably would only want/need about 5,000 of those in my pocket, but we're still talking around 20GB. 2000 songs is about 150 ablums. I have 3 full 400cd changers, and a pretty good handle on whats in 'em. For me, the 20GB iPod is perfect (for now), and the 10GB merely OK.

Then of course, there is the dream of having my home directory (aka My OSX) in my pocket for use anywhere...

Nipsy

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2002
Originally posted by firewire2001
haha.. sorry.. i gotcha..

i jus have such a small music collection, and i didnt think ppl had ones that big.. im astonished ..

I'm sure there are some musician types out there that blow my collection out of the water, but if you look at the fact that there are 47 Beatles albums, 46 Stones albums, etc. It is easy to fill 1000 albums with a complete 'Classic Rock' set. I'm sure the Grateful Dead have over 100 in print....I don't even like classic rock all that much.

I prolly have about 6 albums each, from about 200 bands, mostly punk, and old reggae/rocksteady, with some artist that skew the numbers (Beatles, Stones, Tom Waits, The Clash, Skatalites).

If your semi-passionate about music, it is fairly reasonable to accumulate alot of songs. As I said above, I don't need them all in my pocket, but one of my major uses for an iPod is when I get a song in my head, getting it into my ears ASAP. The more I can carry, the more likely you won't see a frumpy looking white guy singing aloud on a MUNI bus.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.