Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

claimed4all

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 26, 2008
I am ready for a network upgrade as soon as I add some NAS. I am currently using an older WRT54G router, and its a champ. I would like to go to a N only network, for the speed, looking into the AEBS. But if I do that then my ipod touch will not work via wifi. I have read many places about using two router, one via bridge in G for the ipod touch and the main router in N mode for the macbook and any other N routers. I do not want to use two routers, seems like a waste. Even though the suck little power, its another thing I should not have plugged it. So are their any routers that allow the high speed N network and G networks at the same time? I have read about Dual Band router, do they just have the ability to use the 2.4 and 5ghz bands, just not at the same time? How are others handling this situation?

GSMiller

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2006
Kentucky
The AEBS can support a/b/g/n all at the same time or just n. It's said if all are enabled the speed isn't as fast for n but I've not noticed a difference. I suppose if you were that worried about speed you could have the AEBS set to just n then connect an AirPort Express to it and have it enabled g, then have the added benefit of AirTunes.

Apple Ink

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2008
Yes definitely... though it decreases the average data rates especially for n!
Many recommend getting a cheapie 'g' for about $50! I'm doing that for my iPhone..

claimed4all

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 26, 2008
Well I have a nice G router now. Its that I just want one router, I do not want to go the way of two. Now I have read the some Linksys models can do the 5ghz band in N only and the 2.4ghz band in a/b/g or n depending on my choosing. Since the AEBS is dual band (I think) can I choose a mode like such for the faster N while maintaining a G? My fear is streaming movies to the laptop or other device, with the ipod touch online and having it stutter now and again.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I have AEBS on N only with 5ghz

I use another router for G.

Since you already have a G router, get AEBS and you'll have both G and N.

jw2002

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2008
Looking at the Radio Mode options on my AEBS (actually a Time Capsule), I see the following:

802.11n (802.11b/g compatible)
802.11n only (2.4 GHz)
802.11n (802.11a compatible)
802.11n only (5 GHz)

For the first option, the following bit rates can be selected: 1, 2, 5.5, or 11 mbps. For the remaining three options, the following are available: 6, 9, 12, 18, or 24 mbps. I believe all of these rates refer to averages, not the peak rates of 802.11n. I currently use the 5 GHz mode. It might be interesting to test the device in the 802.11b/g/n mode and see if I can get a peak rate faster than 11 mbps. A better test would be to have two machines perform 802.11n and 802.11g communications on the same channel (but not to each other) and see how the 802.11n peak rates drop off.

foshizzle

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2007
The AEBS has a 'b/g/n' mode but N tops out at 130 rather than its top connection speed of 300 mbps (looking in network utility on the mac you can find this info). At home I use this mode to work with iphones/new mac laptops and i get about 6mbps max speed from my laptop to my NAS (wired is about 60).

I do believe that linksys has a router capable of doing the two-in-one but i may be mistaken. Take a look though.

If not, then an AEBS in N mode and an airport express in G mode, bridged to the AEBS would work as well and may be simple to setup the bridge since it is in the setup utility.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.