Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MowingDevil

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 30, 2008
Vancouver, BC & Sydney, NSW
When I first started playing CoD4 online about a month ago everything was fairly fluid.....lately I've sometimes been noticing guys running where they sort of jerk across the screen....a bit laggy......today it got ridiculous w/ the lag....the shooting was late the staggered/choppy running as well.

Is that because someone has a crap internet connection? I don't think its at my end my ADSL has been fine in the past... or is my GPU crapping out? My MBP is esentially brand new and has been fine otherwise w/ no graphics issues whatsoever.

Also, has anyone noticed on some levels there is artifacts when you turn quickly in a room? It looks like a line across the screen is offset as if the screen couldn't redraw fast enough. I've noticed it in the beige/brown building level....if you're running into a room and turn to navigate.....seems to be some kind of glitch as it doesn't happen on all maps.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced anything similar?

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
OSX or windows?

Windows need constant attention (such as defrag multiple things) to prevent it from slowing down.

Did you check the ping?

iOrlando

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
i might get lag when first joining a server..but then it becomes fine.

and no to your second question

running on alum macbook straightup no modifications

MowingDevil

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 30, 2008
Vancouver, BC & Sydney, NSW
OSX or windows?

Windows need constant attention (such as defrag multiple things) to prevent it from slowing down.

Did you check the ping?

Whats the ping numbers mean, lower the better? I've seen the servers have a pin rating but also each individual player.

I'm running it on OS X. ....the only modification I've made to the default settings is for the graphics resolution to be 1440 x 900. I tried some recommendations before like the aliasing (I think?) and it started causing all kinds of problems so I left that alone. Everything has been working fine until recently. The games I've joined have been quite full so perhaps thats a problem.

I know I don't have the fastest connection here but it is ADSL and has been fast enough for this game before.

voyagerd

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2002
Rancho Cordova, CA
I have the game running on the highest settings with 4xFSAA. Multiplayer runs fine on the Mac version. I use the Windows version for single player since it is a little slow with highest settings on the Mac side. In Windows, I can overclock my graphics card. This is with the older 8600M.

If you are playing online over wireless, you could try plugging it directly into your modem to see if you get less lag and lower pings. Also, make sure you join servers that have relatively low ping, such as less than 100ms.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.