Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cardjoseph

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 4, 2005
I currently own a 2.2 GHz Core 2 Duo 15" MacBook Pro from August 2007. I am thinking of selling it and buying a new MacBook and a 24" Apple Cinema Display.

Part of me would like a smaller computer since I travel for work everyday of the work week. I did not buy the MacBook a few years ago because I did not like the Black or White MacBooks, but since Apple offers aluminum models, now I have an option to go with a smaller computer.

My only concern would be when I am at different work locations. I can't quite tell what a 13.3" screen will look and feel like. I only know what my 15" MB Pro feels like. Does anybody have any experience in moving down from the 15" PB or MB Pro to a MB? Did you notice the screen difference? Also, I am wondering how it feels to carry the MB with you in a computer bag. Does the 1 lb less weight make a difference?

I don't do graphics work or use my computer for gaming but mostly for office docs, spreadsheets, presentations, and email. At home, I plan on using the Cinema display so size won't make a difference there.

SteveMobs

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2008
Washington D.C.
I can't tell you anything about moving down from 15" to 13" but I can tell you I like my 2.4 MB.

The screen thing is relative, I used to work on a 17" desktop PC, and going the 13" took about a day or two to adjust to. After that it's been fine, big enough to do all sorts of work.

But, with a 24" monitor when you're home and then a 13" when you're traveling, that may be a bigger switch to go through everyday.

cardjoseph

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 4, 2005
thanks for your reply

I wanted to thank you for your reply. I am still trying to see if I want to go through with these plans.

finalcut

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2007
Quebec, Canada
Depending on the work you do while away from home, you might miss your 15" screen with a new 13" one. The screen was my main concern why I upgraded my white MB to the new MBP unibody. That was not even the graphic card and even if I do some picture editing with Nikon Capture NX2.

cardjoseph

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 4, 2005
what i've decided to do

Because I was concerned about switching back and forth between a smaller screen and a larger screen, I decided not to go through with my current plans.

Instead, I am buying the 20" ACD and just using that with my current MBP. I figure that saves me some money and maybe down the road in a few years I can see if a smaller Macbook would be worth it.

clyde2801

macrumors 601
Depending on your level of geekiness, and what you'll be using it for, a converted netbook may be an attractive option. If you're doing browsing, text, word processing, email, etc., you can get a msi wind, lenovo s10 or dell inspiron mini 9 and use it to throw in a bag and haul it around. They've got 1.6 ghz intel atom processors and can take up to 2 gigs of ddr2 ram.

Get one for 3-400 bucks, follow some step by step instructions on dedicated websites, and you've got a hackbook air with either a 9" or 10" led backlit screen that'll run 10.5.6 with almost full functionality.

My needs are simple, but I travel around with my s10 set up for dual boot, and I'm tickled pink with it.

Attachments

• 3n83p43l8ZZZZZZZZZ92ef36c74280d9d1614.jpg
    3n83p43l8ZZZZZZZZZ92ef36c74280d9d1614.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 493

cardjoseph

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 4, 2005
interesting....

most often I am doing some word processing and email; but I do occasionally give presentations using Keynote. Do you think a modified MSI wind or lenovo S10 would be able to do Keynote presentations?

Demosthenes X

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2008
But, with a 24" monitor when you're home and then a 13" when you're traveling, that may be a bigger switch to go through everyday.

As far as this goes, I use my MacBook at home with a 22" external display, and haul it to campus nearly ever day. Going from the big screen to the little screen isn't a big deal. I'm running Tiger still, too: I imagine with Leopard and Spaces going to the smaller screen would be all right.

Of course, it depends on what you're doing. Video editing on the small screen is doable, but not ideal. Same goes for Excel. But Word or Pages? It's a great size. :)

FWIW, I bought the MacBook because I love the form factor. IMO it's the perfect compromise of size and power. (Of course, if I were shopping these days, the Air is mighty tempting...).

alexbates

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2008
Georgia, USA
Instead, I am buying the 20" ACD and just using that with my current MBP. I figure that saves me some money and maybe down the road in a few years I can see if a smaller Macbook would be worth it.

I think you made the right choice to stick with your 15-in MBP. Buying the 13-in is an good investment but for, me it seems much different than a 15-in and would take some time to get used to. I have a 15-in MBP also and sometimes I have to use some of the old 13-in's at school. I would never trade in my MBP for a smaller screen even if I was getting one of the new Unibody's.

If I were you, I would go ahead and invest in the new 24-in. I just checked and saw that it costs $600 to buy a new 20-in ACD where it costs $900 to buy the 24-in. One thing to think about it that the old 20-in has been out for years and will probably be upgraded soon where as the new 24-in is brand new and probably wont be replaced for about 3 years.

You should either go ahead and buy the 24-in or you could wait a few months for Apple to release a new 20-in cinema display with the iSight.

Good Luck!

cardjoseph

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 4, 2005
I think you made the right choice to stick with your 15-in MBP. Buying the 13-in is an good investment but for, me it seems much different than a 15-in and would take some time to get used to. I have a 15-in MBP also and sometimes I have to use some of the old 13-in's at school. I would never trade in my MBP for a smaller screen even if I was getting one of the new Unibody's.

If I were you, I would go ahead and invest in the new 24-in. I just checked and saw that it costs $600 to buy a new 20-in ACD where it costs $900 to buy the 24-in. One thing to think about it that the old 20-in has been out for years and will probably be upgraded soon where as the new 24-in is brand new and probably wont be replaced for about 3 years.

You should either go ahead and buy the 24-in or you could wait a few months for Apple to release a new 20-in cinema display with the iSight.

Good Luck!

the new 24" ACD won't work for me. I have an older version of the MacBook Pro with the DVI output. I ordered the 20" ACD right now because I am concerned that they will update the 20" and 30" models and make them like the 24" which has the mini display port and no other output to use with the new models without upgrading to a new MacBook or MBP, which I don't want to do at this time..... Even when I upgrade my MPB for a new one in the future, at least I can use a Mini Display adapter to use with the new MBP and the (not yet arrived) 20" ACD......

cardjoseph

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 4, 2005
If presentations is a big part of your job, going down in size could make quite a difference.

how so?
I do not do any graphic-intensive presentations. I typically do pretty simple presentations. No charts, graphics, rarely any pictures.

bntz313

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2007
I just recently went from a 17"mbp to a Unibody Mb and I love it! The size is prefect! I feel 10lbs lighter when walking around campus.

Although I do have a MacPro for the my big work!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.