Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kas23

macrumors 603
Original poster
Oct 28, 2007
Looks like we have another super expensive "I am rich" app. Funny how such an expensive app has such a small, lacking description:

http://appshopper.com/productivity/multi-lingua

Even by going to the developers website, no addition information is given. The website looks like a five year-old made it. Clearly a scam. It's sad Apple lets scams like this through, but useful apps are kept out.

notintheleast

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2008
NC
Yeah, really. What happened to apple's stringent approval policies? I guess they'll approve any scam or POS app that stays within SDK regulations.... :rolleyes:

Watabou

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
United States
This is why they should put like a report button up on the app page. This is just ridiculous. I bet there is nothing in the app itself.

kas23

macrumors 603
Original poster
Oct 28, 2007
This is why they should put like a report button up on the app page. This is just ridiculous. I bet there is nothing in the app itself.

You're probably right. If this was legit, you would think they would offer more than one lousy screen shot. C'mon one screen shot showing some stupid globe? I would agree that the reviewers must not see the price, otherwise Apple is just as guilty as the developer.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
What is the purpose of this app?

Sounds like a Dictionary dot com web page with an app front end.

So if you are traveling and you type in a phrase in English for example it will translate it to another language such as Japanese for example.

Definitely not a professional web site.

Curious.

kas23

macrumors 603
Original poster
Oct 28, 2007
What is the purpose of this app?

Sounds like a Dictionary dot com web page with an app front end.

So if you are traveling and you type in a phrase in English for example it will translate it to another language such as Japanese for example.

Definitely not a professional web site.

Curious.

There's also plenty of other apps that can translate for you and they don't even rely on an internet connection. But, most importantly, they are $0.99 or even free.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
There's also plenty of other apps that can translate for you and they don't even rely on an internet connection. But, most importantly, they are $0.99 or even free.
You get what you pay for. With many languages, they are terrible for the most part.

Since this one is based upon web page access, it could be a high end translator. Although I doubt it after looking at the web page.

Note, I am not saying this app is good or bad. We simply do not know enough to make that call. I believe that it is probably a bogus app.

Rmurphy36

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2008
Did anyone go to the Luna web site from the App store, it is an adult web site warning.

liptonlover

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2008
well, new name and annoying new functionality. As an RSS player it's a harmless app that plays audio from RSS feeds, instead of specifically podcasts. But the only way to enter new feeds is by hand <_<
Nate

XCool

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2005
I posted about this yesterday noon (my local time) over at my site.

When I came home in the evening, both app name and description has been changed. App renamed to Handy Book, while in the description, gorgeous interface was out. The author also admitted that the app is still in beta.

The so-called 'gorgeous' user interface has been reuploaded. Now it shows a notebook instead of a crystal globe.

And yes, if you click on the support page from within iTunes, you get a warning about adult content. Gasp!

I've also submitted this to Digg (http://digg.com/apple/HandyBook_iPhone_App_Going_at_999_99) :D

kas23

macrumors 603
Original poster
Oct 28, 2007

When I came home in the evening, both app name and description has been changed. App renamed to Handy Book, while in the description, gorgeous interface was out. The author also admitted that the app is still in beta.

The so-called 'gorgeous' user interface has been reuploaded. Now it shows a notebook instead of a crystal globe.

And yes, if you click on the support page from within iTunes, you get a warning about adult content. Gasp!

I've also submitted this to Digg (http://digg.com/apple/HandyBook_iPhone_App_Going_at_999_99) :D

They can change their screenshots and name all they want now. This app is still a piece of garbage and an out-right scam. It's too bad this is still on app store after days of (negative) attention.

ayasin

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2008
They can change their screenshots and name all they want now. This app is still a piece of garbage and an out-right scam. It's too bad this is still on app store after days of (negative) attention.

Meh, I prefer to let the free market take care of these things. No one in their right mind is going to pay $1000 for a front end to google translate and no harm is coming from ignoring this app. I actually prefer that Apple let people put up whatever they like and then let the market decide rather than getting into the business of judging what may or may not be "good enough" to be in the store. That's a very slippery slope.

kas23

macrumors 603
Original poster
Oct 28, 2007
Meh, I prefer to let the free market take care of these things. No one in their right mind is going to pay $1000 for a front end to google translate and no harm is coming from ignoring this app. I actually prefer that Apple let people put up whatever they like and then let the market decide rather than getting into the business of judging what may or may not be "good enough" to be in the store. That's a very slippery slope.

That's perfectly fine, but if Apple is going to let the free market decide, then let us decide. Although this App has no relation to other apps, if Allows crap like this in, they should let everything into the App Store (as long as it doesn't bring down networks or brick your phone). There are plenty of extremely useful apps in the "review process" that Apple has refused to allow into the App Store, but they don't hesitate to allow scams in. Let the free market decide what is worth having on their phone. Let's also remember, if someone buys this app, not only does the developer profit off someone's misfortune, but Apple does too. That's sad.

RyanKubo

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2008
Orange, California

I just Dugg It

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.