Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

evildead

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 18, 2001
WestCost, USA
I read a post on:

http://www.macintouch.com/officevx.html#nov26

that says that MS office will expire after one year and you have to pay to extend it.. or get a new version. Any one read the licence.. I am going to go home and check it out. I all ready installed it... any one know how to read the licence that I blindly agreed to after the install??

Screamingbeaver

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2001
St. Paul, MN
If you don't register...

I think that Office v.X will de-activate only if you do not actually "register" the product. I think that is what Microsoft is doin' with WindowsXP as well. If you don't register within, like, 30 days it'll de-activate. I think that is how thay can apply this 'activation technology' as well. If you register (online) your version of XP or Office X then try to install on another machine, I guess it won't work. I was reading in our local paper that this poor marketing by MS will really hurt multiple PC families. I don't know how much XP costs, but the article stated that the typical 3 pc family would have to pay, like, $800 to have registered versions of XP on all three PCs. That's just dumb!

I think. I'm not sure about any of this. But maybe that is what they are sayin'

yandfeng

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2000
Does this apply to the beta?

Oddly enough, I still have an old copy of the Beta version of Office X. When does the lights go out on this one?

geeman

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2001
At My Mac
Re: Does this apply to the beta?

Originally posted by yandfeng
Oddly enough, I still have an old copy of the Beta version of Office X. When does the lights go out on this one?

Middle of January.

GeeMAn

evildead

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 18, 2001
WestCost, USA
I wonder

I wonder if all that means is we will have to re-install Office after the year it up ... or if the serial well just expire and those of us that dont like to give MS money.. will just have to find more serial numbers.

RE: Screamingbeaver

Yeah.. MS is stupid for the activation thing. They make almost no money from the consumer sectors.. at least in comparison to industry. How could some mom and dad aford to upgrade the family computer? What about little Johnny that needs to do his home work? They cant afford that. Its better to just wait till you need a new box and get the latest OS when you get your crappy gateway. MS wont let you ugrade from Windows 95 ether (not that XP would run on a box that came with 95 as original equipment) A friend of mine paid for it... but he didnt install it right a way. His Dad saw it on the table and installed it on the family computer. Then when my friend whent to install it on his computer (the one he got it for), I wouldnt register.. and it failed due to his dads intall. So... I got him a copy that doesnt need the registration to work.... he is a paying customer of MS.. and he is pissed off. I told him that I could get him a free copy before he went out and got XP... but he wanted to do the "right thing". He told me he "is never paying for that crap again". MS.... making criminals out of customers... every day.

[Edited by evildead on 11-27-2001 at 12:32 PM]

Disdain

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2001
Australia
eyelikeart
Microsoft and Bill Gate...

Bill Gates is the devil!!

Watch the documentry 'Pirates of Silicon Valley" it is about the rise of Stev job's (apple) and bill gate (microsoft) and you will see they are not that much different to eachother at all and Steeve is infact more the devil that bill. (message to admins "don't delete this one too")

Anyway I really suggest everyone watches it it's a really cool documentry and is not boring at all. Good if you really like comps or apple macs and stuff like that

evildead

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 18, 2001
WestCost, USA
Originally posted by Disdain
eyelikeart
Microsoft and Bill Gate...

Bill Gates is the devil!!

Watch the documentry 'Pirates of Silicon Valley" it is about the rise of Stev job's (apple) and bill gate (microsoft) and you will see they are not that much different to eachother at all and Steeve is infact more the devil that bill. (message to admins "don't delete this one too")

Anyway I really suggest everyone watches it it's a really cool documentry and is not boring at all. Good if you really like comps or apple macs and stuff like that

its not a Documetory... its a silly movie. Is Gates evil? No... he just Dosent run a Busness very ethlicly. Is MS criminal? Yes, and has been proven.

Is MS an evil empire gunning twards world dommination? ....probably

yandfeng

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2000
Re: Re: Does this apply to the beta?

Originally posted by geeman
Originally posted by yandfeng

Middle of January.

GeeMAn

Damn. I'd better convert my Word files to AppleWorks documents. And suck all those goodies from the PowerPoint presentations.

Or maybe buy a legit. copy of PowerPoint anyway.

Thanks for your answer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.