Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macdon101

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2009
I'm a bit confused on how much ram the new macbook can handle. I think the apple site is wrong and what people say is off. If you could help me that would be great. Right now I have the new macbook, with the pre installed two gig's of ram (one gig sticks). I'm pretty sure i can upgrade to four gig's (two gig sticks) But I was really wondering if I can go up to six gig's (three gig chips). Thank you for your time...

acfusion29

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2007
Toronto
I just bought 4GB from Macsales.com for $74.99, about $80 with shipping. I was going to get 6GB but no way I was going to spend $400.

They wanted to charge me $30 to ship it to Canada! :eek: So I paid $7 and got it shipped to my cousin who goes to school in Buffalo and it will arrive next week. He comes home each weekend, so I saved myself a lot of money (conversion USD -> CAD).

dwc

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2007
FL
New white Macbooks-4Gig Stick Newegg

G.SKILL 4GB 200-Pin DDR2 SO-DIMM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Laptop Memory Model F2-5300CL5S-4GBSQ - Retail

Your Price:$199.99

superxero3

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2008
I just bought 4GB from Macsales.com for $74.99, about $80 with shipping. I was going to get 6GB but no way I was going to spend $400.

They wanted to charge me $30 to ship it to Canada! :eek: So I paid $7 and got it shipped to my cousin who goes to school in Buffalo and it will arrive next week. He comes home each weekend, so I saved myself a lot of money (conversion USD -> CAD).

did they charge you sales tax on that order? I'm from Buffalo and i know 99% of the websites i buy from now charge the annoying *1.0875 sales tax.

-Ryan-

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Whats the most RAM a White Macbook can handle? and can it accept DDR3? (the new nVidia 9400M ones.)

Nope DDR2 and DDR3 are *completely* different. It would be impossible to put DDR2 RAM in a DDR3 slot and vice versa. If you have a white Macbook though, you're lucky as DDR2 RAM is very cheap these days. ;)

The white Macbook can handle 4gb RAM.

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
Nope DDR2 and DDR3 are *completely* different. It would be impossible to put DDR2 RAM in a DDR3 slot and vice versa. If you have a white Macbook though, you're lucky as DDR2 RAM is very cheap these days. ;)

The white Macbook can handle 4gb RAM.

To be honest DDR3 RAM isn't that expensive either. You can purchase 4GB of DDR3 from Crucial (2x2GB) at 1066MHz for a MacBook / MacBook Pro for only £56. That is pretty much a bargain. However when you hit 8GB (2x4GB) the price explodes to £750.

EDIT: Here is a Link
http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid=05217C5FA5CA7304

GfulDedFan

macrumors 65816
Oct 17, 2007
Indiana
Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe you can install 8GB of RAM in a current MacBook but it will only utilize 6GB for now. Snow Leopard (64 bit) will possibly allow the full 8GB of RAM to be used.

Patriks7

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2008
Vienna
It can see and use all eight gigabytes... OS X just doesn't like it. By that I mean, it crashes and runs slow as peas.

And obviously, that is not something to do with OS X. More like some firmware. If it would be in OS X, there is no way anyone would buy 32 GB RAM for a Mac Pro, and Apple wouldn't give the option to upgrade to 8 GB on the 17" MacBook Pro, which practically has the same chipset and all as the 15" one, just Apple had to add some restriction to the smaller ones to make people buy the 17" one :p
Anyway, I think that if you need more than 4/6 GB RAM, you should be on a desktop anyway. I really don't see a reason to have more than 4 GB on a MacBook, except for bragging rights :p (all just an opinion, though).

Bwilky

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2008
And obviously, that is not something to do with OS X. More like some firmware. If it would be in OS X, there is no way anyone would buy 32 GB RAM for a Mac Pro, and Apple wouldn't give the option to upgrade to 8 GB on the 17" MacBook Pro, which practically has the same chipset and all as the 15" one, just Apple had to add some restriction to the smaller ones to make people buy the 17" one :p
Anyway, I think that if you need more than 4/6 GB RAM, you should be on a desktop anyway. I really don't see a reason to have more than 4 GB on a MacBook, except for bragging rights :p (all just an opinion, though).

+1 on your whole post. If your going to be investing that much in ram, you mine as well just upgrade to the real beast.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.