Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gdh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
Hi,

I'm nearing the end of the two-week return period for my Rev. A refurbished Macbook Air, and am concerned about uneven backlighting.

I spoke to a genius about the problem. She was nice about it, but said the machine was within spec. Another genius she spoke with offered to replace the screen, but couldn't guarantee I'd get anything better. To their credit, however, it was hard to notice the problem beneath the store's lighting.

Check out the photos below. In your opinion, is my backlighting abnormal or within specification?

I'm planning to return it due to the backlighting regardless, but am concerned/disappointed with Apple's opinion of quality if the machine is within spec.

Thanks for your opinion.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    257.9 KB · Views: 105
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 91
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 68

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
That is odd, mostly because I thought the MBAir even with Rev A machines had some nice screens. It is irrelevant, I know, but the Rev B screen is not like that at all.

I would let them change it if they're willing.

duffyanneal

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2008
ATL
I went thru this problem myself when the MBA was first released. I had several different machines with the same problem. I would recommend a replacement machine rather than repairing the display.

zer0tails

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
Canada
While all displays have slight uneven backlighting, your MBA looks to be severe. I would recommend bringing it back to get an exchange!;)

tubbymac

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2008
I want to compare your results with my own rev A but I completely failed at figuring out how to duplicate that blue screen. How did you get that full screen background up on your Air?

mhnajjar

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2008
Okay now, I would like to say Apple sucks again for their bad QC, but fanboys would try to kill me and ask me to go away!

You paid the money, noticed the problem which should have been noticed by them prior to selling it, took the machine to have it fixed/replaced and all they could do is tell you that "it is within specs" and the other nice person told you "we canNOT guarantee that the replacement screen would be better!!!!"

This is a total BS, they should replace either the screen or the entire machine depending on your choice and make sure that the new one does NOT suffer from this issue since this is totally NOT acceptable.

I do not understand how some people have the guts to even say that this is within specs!

Ask them to have it fixed or replaced unless you want your money back because this is NOT the quality Apple has been known for.

Mad @ :apple:

gdh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
Try it yourself

I want to compare your results with my own rev A but I completely failed at figuring out how to duplicate that blue screen. How did you get that full screen background up on your Air?

Thanks for all the replies.

If you'd like to duplicate this test your own machine:

(1) Create a simple black image that's 1280 x 800 (or download the one attached).

(2) Open in Preview

(3) Click on "slideshow" (and feel free to post your results for comparison)

The results will likely depend on your brightness settings and room lighting. The photos above were taken at the highest level brightness in a room without harsh overhead lighting.

I'd prefer giving the geniuses the benefit of the doubt since the issue was hard to see in the Apple Store (due to bountiful overhead lighting), and because the genius was fiddling around with the brightness control. Apple took care of my past hardware problems (wearing the letters of my iBook G4 keyboard . . . 4 or 5 times, and replacing a failed logic board 7 days before the warranty expired). Of course, I should probably subtract points for my keyboard repair since one genius questioned my use of lotion and soap, then my general body chemistry, in the process. I only received a fantastic laser-etched keyboard after e-mailing sjobs.

Attachments

• Black.jpg
    Black.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 129

flipside217

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2009
tried it on mine. I can see some light leaking through at the bottom and at the top of the screen on the highest brightness but its barely noticeable. gdh, yours looks pretty bad.... just send it to apple for a fix.

tubbymac

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2008
Just tried it out on mine and if I turn off all the lights I can see light leaking from all the edges. There's also a much smaller dark patch on mine about the size of an elbow if it were pressed to the screen. If I move my head around the backlight leaking becomes fainter at different angles. As soon as I pop Preview back out of full screen and into a window the bleeding disappears and everything looks normal again. So I'm quite happy with my screen.

Looks like your screen is a LOT worse than mine. Under all types of light my screen still looks pretty black. I can't get it to look as badly washed out or as blue as your pictures.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.