Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

haiggy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 20, 2003
Ontario, Canada
Hi I have an iBook (as you can see from my sig) running Panther and I was just wondering what temperature I can expect for it to run at. I have a program called Temperature Monitor and when I am only running something like iChat the temperature is around 56 degrees celsius (132.4 degrees fahrenheit). Is that normal? My cousin has the same computer and his runs at around 48 degrees celsius (don't know what that is in Fahrenheit). One time I played Warcraft III and it got up to about 70 degrees celsius (expected) and then half an hour later after I put it to sleep it was still the same temperature. I'm not sure if anything is wrong or not. Is this normal?
Thanks. :rolleyes:

blue&whiteman

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
that temp isn't too much for a G4. they are known to run a bit hot. besides, apple laptops have always ran hot no matter what cpu is in them for as far back as I can remember.

haiggy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 20, 2003
Ontario, Canada
I can understand because its a laptop that it gets hot. I hope it doesnt hurt any hardware such as my hard drive though. :)

blue&whiteman

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
haiggy said:
I can understand because its a laptop that it gets hot. I hope it doesnt hurt any hardware such as my hard drive though. :)

laptop hard drives are built to take more shock, heat etc. the trade off is that they are slower but that is mainly due to their small size.

NeoMayhem

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2003
70 degrees Celsius is not to good for a CPU, much more then that will start to do some damage. That app doesn't work on iBook G3s, so I dont know how hot mine gets, but I try to keep it as cool as possible so it lasts a while.

nargot

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2004
Australia
NeoMayhem said:
70 degrees Celsius is not to good for a CPU, much more then that will start to do some damage. That app doesn't work on iBook G3s, so I dont know how hot mine gets, but I try to keep it as cool as possible so it lasts a while.

I havn't run any apps on mine, but it definitely runs hotter than 50°C as it nukes my legs if i don't use a textbook. So 56°C sounds fine

haiggy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 20, 2003
Ontario, Canada
NeoMayhem said:

I'm sure your G3 runs cooler as said earlier that G4's tend to run hotter. I wish there was a way to make my temperature lower. It's the only thing I worry about with my iBook. Everything else is great. :)

nargot

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2004
Australia
haiggy said:
I'm sure your G3 runs cooler as said earlier that G4's tend to run hotter. I wish there was a way to make my temperature lower. It's the only thing I worry about with my iBook. Everything else is great. :)

buy an ibreeze (http://www.macmice.com), it drops the temp on mine to about 37-40 °C (by the old hand touch thermometer)

blue&whiteman

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
something I forgot to mention is that along with being known for running hot the G4 is also known for giving inaccurate temperatures. sonnet took out the temp reading from their metronome app all together because they didn't want their customers to be a freaked out at a hot reading when its not at all true.

thermal paste is good for piece of mind. I use it on my G4 500 chip and my heatsink never feels too hot.

don't trust any softwares temp rating of a G4. G3 chips read very accurate which is an odd outcome since the G4 is newer.

haiggy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 20, 2003
Ontario, Canada
Wow I've learned a lot of things in here. :) Thanks for the help. That iBreeze thing looks cool and seems like it should do the trick. I wonder if its loud.... :confused:

switcher22

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2003
Winnipeg, MB
one last thing - iBook temperatures

haiggy said:
Wow I've learned a lot of things in here. :) Thanks for the help. That iBreeze thing looks cool and seems like it should do the trick. I wonder if its loud.... :confused:

Before you go out and buy the iBreeze or whatnot just a question - during either of the times when you quoted the temperature above was the machine on your lap or resting on someother type of soft surface. This can significantly increase the temperature as the bottom surface is meant to dissapate heat.

haiggy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 20, 2003
Ontario, Canada
switcher22 said:
Before you go out and buy the iBreeze or whatnot just a question - during either of the times when you quoted the temperature above was the machine on your lap or resting on someother type of soft surface. This can significantly increase the temperature as the bottom surface is meant to dissapate heat.

Nope, it's on my flat wooden desk.

haiggy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 20, 2003
Ontario, Canada
Usually when I play a game I don't hear the fan because it doesn't get too hot, but when it gets to 70 degrees C the fan kicks in. Sometimes I check the temperature and it is at 70 and the fan isn't running. So its a sometimes kind of thing. Sometimes it kicks in, sometimes it doesnt. Sometimes at higher temperatures, sometimes at lower temperatures.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.