PDA

View Full Version : Firefox fills the IE void

MacBytes
Mar 20, 2004, 01:38 AM
Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: Firefox fills the IE void (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20040320023806)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

GaelDesign
Mar 20, 2004, 02:27 AM
As a Web developer, the bane of my existence used to be Netscape back in the bad old 4.x days of the browser wars. But now, years later, in wonderful XHTML/CSS land, the bane of my existence is IE (on Windows). I can't tell you how many times I've crafted the perfect Web design, rendered beautifully by Safari and Firefox -- only to see it mangled to death by IE. Then I have to do all kinds of crappy CSS workarounds and funky HTML hacks to get IE to look right. And believe me, it's not my code at fault -- there are numerous documented IE bugs all over the Web.

If FireFox had 80% of the market and Safari had 20% of the market, I'd be the happiest Web developer in the world. As it is, I live in constant dread of IE bugs plaguing my most wonderful designs. Ah, but one can dream....

Jared

Thirteenva
Mar 20, 2004, 08:52 AM
I've now made the push at my company to no longer offer support for certain browsers so we can push forward and utilize advances in web design and development in our web apps.

We now require IE 6, Netscape 6 or higher, Mozilla 1.0 or higher, safari 1.0 or higher. I also try to support other major browsers when possible(opera, omniweb). i check to see that firefox works but it is not officially supported as its still technically in beta.

There are so many free browser alternatives that we support. We can't have someone come to us complaining about rendering issues with ie 5(especially with its box model issues). IE 5 support has even been dropped by MS, our developers can no longer download IE 5.5 through their msdn subscriptions for testing. So without a proper test bed, we cut support.

We will not in any way, shape or form support NS 4.x( I was an avid ns 4.x user prior to NS 6) its got way to many quirks.

dukemeiser
Mar 20, 2004, 07:46 PM
If you must work on Windows Firefox is the way to go. But I would still take Safari anyday. I'm sure the "find as you type" feature will find its way into a future version of Safari.