Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jmbean13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2009
I have a Macbook purchased in July 2008. In the last month or so, it has been erratic when connecting to the internet. The Airport Icon at the top of the screen shows a complete and full connection. However, when I attempt to connect to the internet with either Safari or Firefox, it won't necessarily connect. Sometimes it does connect, other times it fails to connect. Either way, the airport icon indicates full signal strength. I am not a strong computer user, so please provide step by step instructions if you have suggestions.

scienide09

macrumors 65816
May 5, 2007
Canada
Just because the wireless connection between your MB and your router is strong does not mean that you're connected to the Internet. The wifi symbol in the menubar shows the connection betweenyour computer and the wireless router, not your computer and the Internet.

Example: last week I lost my Net access because my cat had somehow loosened the cable coming into my apartment. I couldn't get anything from the Net, but my wifi signal from my AEBS was as strong as ever.

The problem could be like the above, where the connection from your router to the Internet is the issue. Or it could be a problem with the connection to your ISP.

A little more information about your setup might be useful. What kind of router are you using? How do you connect to the Net (cable, dial-up, etc.)? Has everything on the router been configured for you?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.