PDA

View Full Version : Join the Macrumors Audioscrobbler group!

teabgs
Mar 20, 2004, 04:17 PM
want to see what MR members listen to? download iScrobbler (FREE) and it will keep track of what you listen to. THEN just join the MR group (located in the groups directory)

here's the main audioscrobbler page: http://www.audioscrobbler.com/

here's the MR group page: http://www.audioscrobbler.com/group/Macrumors

medea
Mar 20, 2004, 07:41 PM
Alright I joined......
looks like I am the only one so far though.

teabgs
Mar 20, 2004, 08:42 PM
yup. It's just the two of us right now. Maybe I should have posted this in community forums? But others will come...and I'm gonna add it to my sig later.

now you gotta listen to some music....right now all the info is from me :D

...maybe you are listening to some music though...the submissions queue can take some time if there is a lot of traffic. it's been delayed by about an hour give or take all day today.

iAmAzN
Mar 20, 2004, 09:45 PM
ok im on a PC and im using iTunes for the PC... wheres the windows iTunes plugin?!

Flowbee
Mar 20, 2004, 10:44 PM
I'm in. :cool:

Tequila Grandma
Mar 20, 2004, 11:59 PM
I post here only sparatically, but I decided to join anyway. Huaah.

pepita
Mar 21, 2004, 05:27 AM
:cool:

Nice one. I just joined.

bennetsaysargh
Mar 22, 2004, 03:00 PM
im joinging in a few. this should be cool once a lot of people join.

medea
Mar 22, 2004, 04:07 PM
Also for fans of the labels Domino Rec's and Touch & Go I've created groups for both.
http://www.audioscrobbler.com/group/Domino%20Record%20Co.%20Ltd
http://www.audioscrobbler.com/group/Touch%20and%20Go

jbembe
Mar 22, 2004, 09:33 PM
I'm there!

How long until it starts registering the songs you've listened to?

Does it only count ones you've listened to once you've loaded the program, or all your playcounts?

teabgs
Mar 22, 2004, 09:35 PM
it only does it once you've installed the program.

as for it getting your info up, from their webpage: " Submission Queue Length: 57988 songs "

So....get in line. they'll show up eventually. the submission queue is located on the bottom left.

crenz
Mar 24, 2004, 06:14 AM
OK, I joined also. It's probably going to be days until my statistics impact the group, though, judging from the 60000+ pending entries... :)

crenz
Mar 25, 2004, 08:04 AM
Seems they solved their problems -- the songs register rather quickly now. Everybody join :)

Laslo Panaflex
Mar 26, 2004, 11:59 AM
I joined, be warned, I listen to music all day long, it might throw off stats, oh well.

teabgs
Mar 26, 2004, 12:02 PM
I joined, be warned, I listen to music all day long, it might throw off stats, oh well.

So do I. They had tons of issues for months where submissions were off, data kept getting lost, etc. but they finally have the kinks out, which is nice.

As long as I'm not out somewhere freelancing or in class I'm usually home working/listening to music. the point is that when there are enough members this will get balanced out.

Happy listening!

howard
Mar 26, 2004, 01:37 PM
any way to get rid of the music icon on the toolbar?

g808
Mar 26, 2004, 01:57 PM
I totally forgot about his plugin, and haven't used it in awhile. Just joined the Macrumors group.

jbembe
Mar 26, 2004, 06:09 PM
any way to get rid of the music icon on the toolbar?

I don't mind that, but I hate the mounted disk on the desktop. I like to have three icons on the desktop, harddrive, iPod, external drive. Desktop clutter really annoys me.

By the Way, You should also check out musicmobs.com, they actually monitor the playcount of every song, not just what you play while you are using your home computer. This way you can also tell what your total playcount is including iPod and home computer usage and compare with other users. Very Cool Indeed, and it works better than iTunes Registry.com.

howard
Mar 26, 2004, 06:24 PM
toolbar icon pissed me off...

tried out musicmobs... seem neat but not nearly as good as www.itunesregistry.com which has more info and graphs about your stuff

jbembe
Mar 26, 2004, 06:28 PM
toolbar icon pissed me off...

tried out musicmobs... seem neat but not nearly as good as www.itunesregistry.com which has more info and graphs about your stuff

...MusicMobs: cool options such as choose cover art of your favorite album as your user icon, great links to iTunes Library (not on the registry...) and much faster and easier upload times.

...ItunesRegistry.com: Nice with exceptional graphs and user info, no links to iTunes,but worst of all, I cannot upload my library without the 60second timeout. The zipped library doesn't seem to upload all the right information...

lavar78
Mar 26, 2004, 07:56 PM
...MusicMobs: cool options such as choose cover art of your favorite album as your user icon, great links to iTunes Library (not on the registry...) and much faster and easier upload times.

...ItunesRegistry.com: Nice with exceptional graphs and user info, no links to iTunes,but worst of all, I cannot upload my library without the 60second timeout. The zipped library doesn't seem to upload all the right information...
I like both for different reasons. To make a long story short, MusicMobs is better at learning about other people's music while iTunesRegistry is better at learning about my own music. BTW, it is much easier to upload to either site with Firefox instead of Safari.

Rower_CPU
Mar 26, 2004, 08:54 PM
I'm in! :)

Once more users/stats show up it'll be interesting to see what trends emerge...right now Coco Rosie is dominating the charts...not sure what that means. :p

Flowbee
Mar 26, 2004, 09:20 PM
I'm in! :)
right now Coco Rosie is dominating the charts...not sure what that means. :p

I think it means someone set that album to repeat all night long. ;)

teabgs
Mar 28, 2004, 06:08 PM
iTunes windows plugin Beta has been released. SO, if you are waiting for that go check it out. here's the forum for it to discuss how it's working and help with it's development: http://www.audioscrobbler.com/forum/22/_/954

Opteron
Mar 28, 2004, 06:18 PM
iTunes eats up system resources faster than DivX encoding.
If you could get a plugin for winamp 5 i'd be in.

applemacdude
Mar 29, 2004, 05:04 PM
Im in

Fiveos22
Mar 29, 2004, 06:11 PM
I'm in!

Looks like it is a better layout than iTunes Registry but I really wish it had some of the graphs and other goodies.

We need some more Tom Waits representation!

Kingsnapped
Mar 29, 2004, 06:47 PM
I'm in.

Wisconsin's member of the Five Iron Frenzy (http://fiveironfrenzy.com) street team needs to represent.

It would be nice if this program kept track of the iPod as well, I listen to that a lot more than iTunes.

Fiveos22
Mar 29, 2004, 10:38 PM
I'm in.

Wisconsin's member of the Five Iron Frenzy (http://fiveironfrenzy.com) street team needs to represent.

It would be nice if this program kept track of the iPod as well, I listen to that a lot more than iTunes.

When you plug your ipod into your computer (assuming you use iTunes) your play counts are automatically sync'd.

jbembe
Mar 30, 2004, 03:06 AM
I think it means someone set that album to repeat all night long. ;)

I think you're right- I say we revolt and reset the coco rosie count! :D

jbembe
Mar 30, 2004, 03:09 AM
When you plug your ipod into your computer (assuming you use iTunes) your play counts are automatically sync'd.

Yes, but the whole concept of audioscrobbler is that you actually have to be listening to the song on a computer with an internet connection and it only registers a song once you've listened to it for a certain duration of time. Playcounts are irrelevant and the iPod counts don't show up on audioscrobbler, but they will on the registry or musicmob!

bennetsaysargh
Mar 30, 2004, 04:17 PM
Yes, but the whole concept of audioscrobbler is that you actually have to be listening to the song on a computer with an internet connection and it only registers a song once you've listened to it for a certain duration of time. Playcounts are irrelevant and the iPod counts don't show up on audioscrobbler, but they will on the registry or musicmob!
i wish it would count play counts though. it might be better that way.

side note here-maybe some graphs of listening could be an iTunes 5 feature?

applemacdude
Mar 30, 2004, 06:42 PM
Its good to see that good old Rammstein is on the charts...

applemacdude
Mar 30, 2004, 06:42 PM
Intermission

Planned Downtime
Audioscrobbler is offline for a few days while we move to our new database server.
This new hardware should give us a much needed speed increase, stay tuned - we'll be back at the end of the week.

medea
Mar 31, 2004, 05:33 AM
I think you're right- I say we revolt and reset the coco rosie count! :D
Sorry to break it to you but that is an honest count.

scem0
Apr 4, 2004, 08:33 PM
I joined.

Pretty cool :).

scem0

iAmAzN
Apr 5, 2004, 07:45 AM
well i just got the windows iTunes plugin, i'll start listenin to music now :D

jbembe
Oct 24, 2004, 06:53 PM
More people should get into this!!! :D

Just thought I'd dig up another old thread... ;)

wowser
Oct 24, 2004, 07:21 PM
how the buggery do i install the plugin? it's all techical stuff!

i double click the icon, but nothing seems to load.

brap
Oct 24, 2004, 07:41 PM
how the buggery do i install the plugin? it's all techical stuff!

i double click the icon, but nothing seems to load.
I found it really buggy on X with iTunes, too. It does load, but doesn't seem to do anything. It'll probably wake up and annoy you when you least expect it. "Oh yeah, I need registration details!" D'oh!

Not the most user friendly thing in the world.

wowser
Oct 24, 2004, 07:45 PM
damn, yeah. 2 minutes later about 3 prefernce panels popped up. I think my college firewall may be preventing the resdults being sent. That , and the DMG file is annoying.

jbembe
Oct 24, 2004, 08:29 PM
I never had any problems with it, and I'm also behind a firewall. The only thing that opening the program should do is to put a small tunes symbol in your top menu. I can't remember precisely all the steps for getting the program going, but it is a very cool webpage tool.

Anybody know what the hang-up might be here?

Yellow-tail
Oct 25, 2004, 07:11 AM
I've mentioned about the site on some other forum and those members gave me totally crappy responses saying like it sucks, this is crap, too much like spyware, blah blah blah. But here, it seems not. I like it :) and I'm in already.

And I thought like I should've joined this Mac forum much earlier :o

wowser
Oct 25, 2004, 07:31 AM
too much spyware? how so?

how are people racking up so many song stats after just a few days - i only have 10 plays after one day

Trekkie
Oct 25, 2004, 03:45 PM
I sent the link to my home machine and will join when I get there.

SilvorX
Oct 26, 2004, 01:20 AM

teabgs
Nov 8, 2004, 05:43 AM
A new version of the plugins was released for the Mac version of iTunes. It apparently supports iPod use. However, mine does not seem to work, or I can't figure out why it doesnt work properly. I've tried it a few times, having to hit 'sync iPod' in the iScrobbler menu since I sync mine manually.

However, isn't the iPod supposed to update the play counts in iTunes when you connect it to your computer? Mine does not do this apparently. I didn't use iTunes for a while and listened to my iPod instead. Then I hooked it up and the play counts never got updated. I don't know why, but this might be why I can't get my iPod counts to upload to audioscrobbler.

anybody know?

lavar78
Nov 8, 2004, 06:20 PM
However, isn't the iPod supposed to update the play counts in iTunes when you connect it to your computer? Mine does not do this apparently. I didn't use iTunes for a while and listened to my iPod instead. Then I hooked it up and the play counts never got updated. I don't know why, but this might be why I can't get my iPod counts to upload to audioscrobbler.
There are two separate issues here. First of all, iPod play counts are not synced with iTunes if you manually sync your iPod. It's always been that way.

However, actual play counts have nothing to do with Audioscrobbler. If you played to song on your iPod, hooked it up, and used the "sync iPod" command in iScrobbler, it should save that info to send to the server. Currently, Audioscrobbler seems to be having server problems. You can look at the preferences in iScrobbler to see the status.

Trekkie
Nov 8, 2004, 08:12 PM
There are two separate issues here. First of all, iPod play counts are not synced with iTunes if you manually sync your iPod. It's always been that way.

:confused: Really? Mine are, every day.

abhishekit
Nov 9, 2004, 11:39 AM
I just joined in..

cheers

Chimera
May 25, 2005, 05:26 AM
*Digging up an old thread*

Only just found this interesting service and am about to join the MR group, hopefully we can get more people to join by renewing this thread.

Trekkie
May 25, 2005, 07:20 AM
21,000 some songs scrobbled and counting.

My Profile (http://www.audioscrobbler.com/user/trekkie)

d-fi
Jun 12, 2005, 05:35 AM
This is realy cool glad this thread poped up :)

Sirus The Virus
Jul 23, 2005, 09:18 PM
I just joined. This is pretty cool to see what everybody else is listening to.

Capt Underpants
Jul 23, 2005, 09:30 PM
I Joined. My username is Petethesock, and thinking back on it, it should've been Capt Underpants so people wouldn't get confused :(... but I guess that only counts if people recognize my name in the first place.

Anyway I put a link to my audio scrobbler in my sig. I just started :)

edit: Looking at the MR top singles, it seems that I have different tastes from most here. I did see some Death Cab on there, though!

reubs
Sep 3, 2007, 10:56 PM
I'm having a helluva time getting last.fm to scrobble my iPod. It detected it earlier today, but I was in a hurry and didn't want to take the time to make it work. I canceled the request thinking I could do it later this evening, but nothing's doing. Any info on what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.