Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mdo574

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 19, 2008
any comments on the kit lens that comes with the d80 18-135, just purchased this item..thx mike

TenPoundMonkey

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2007
VA
it's a fine lens, it won't blow you away at all, but it works and is cheap(ish). It's sharp enough, but I notice color fringing on mine.

I wish it had VR and i am not a fan of it's plastic mount.

jaseone

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
Houston, USA
I recommend the 16-85mm vr Nikon lens for your D80. It's miles above the 18-135mm.

There always has to be at least one in every thread...

Is the 16-85 VR better than the 18-135? Yeah sure it is but the 18-135 will suit most people's purposes just fine, the only thing I wouldn't like is the lack of VR and if the OP wanted to gain that then I would recommend the kit D90 lens the 18-105VR.

It is like telling someone a Lexus is better than a Toyota, is Lexus better? Yeah it generally is but will a Toyota meet most people's needs? You bet ya!

Abraxsis

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2003
Kentucky
I totally agree. I just bought a D80 and went shooting with it this afternoon. I foind it to be too soft for my tastes. My really old Tamron 70-210mm MF lens blows it away, and today I actually broke out the 50mm 1.8 to ensure I got the shots I needed to get. I drive far out into the countryside for shots, so its important that I get them. HOWEVER, I am a IQ freak, and even though I critique the soft IQ harshly, its more than enough for 95% of the users who will buy it. Also, for shots where the soft grainy look is what youre going for it's perfection.

I also agree with the lack of VR. My opinion is do what Im doing, save a couple weeks and buy a 18-200 VR lens.

Is the 16-85 VR better than the 18-135? Yeah sure it is but the 18-135 will suit most people's purposes just fine, the only thing I wouldn't like is the lack of VR and if the OP wanted to gain that then I would recommend the kit D90 lens the 18-105VR.

It is like telling someone a Lexus is better than a Toyota, is Lexus better? Yeah it generally is but will a Toyota meet most people's needs? You bet ya!

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->

All you say is true, but it doesn't hurt to let someone know what their options are. I once made the mistake of buying a superzoom purely by reading reviews of all comparable superzooms and choosing the best of the lot. Had I posted to a forum about it, someone would eventually have told me the truth about superzooms and saved me from having found out the hard way. I learned that I should have spent more on a better lens, because soft or downright blurry pictures aren't acceptable for my purposes. For me, it was not money well spent. But I agree that for some folks, "good enough" will do just fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.