Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mnkeybsness

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 25, 2001
Moneyapolis, Minnesota
I know this was an issue a long time ago, but I can't remember if it was resolved or not.

The problem is that I am running out of hard drive space on my Quicksilver. I have a 60GB drive set as my master drive and an 80Gb drive that is full of music... FULL of music... I have a total of about 10GB free after clearing out everything that I know I don't need. I have a media PC that desperately needs another hard drive (only a 40GB in it now).

So I was thinking about buying a 160GB drive and putting that in my Quicksilver in place of the 60 or 80GB drive, but I remember that there was an issue that this model could not support drives any larger that 134GB or somewhere in that range. Is this still a problem or was it fixed with a firmware update?

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
I think it's a 128GB limit on the IDE controller, and appart from getting another PCI controller to run the HDD off of, there is nothing you can do. I'd just get a 120GB HDD if I were you.

mnkeybsness

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 25, 2001
Moneyapolis, Minnesota
edesignuk said:
I think it's a 128GB limit on the IDE controller, and appart from getting another PCI controller to run the HDD off of, there is nothing you can do. I'd just get a 120GB HDD if I were you.

aw poo...

thanks--I guess I can manage with a 120

BrandonRP0123

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2003
San Francisco, CA
Upgrading a hard drive in any Mac with an IDE bus almost certainly warrants buying a new controller with it. That is to say that buying a brand-spanking-new disk off the shelf will almost always have a faster bus than what you've got in your Mac (for example, Serial ATA). Buy yourself a PCI IDE controller card and you should be set. Otherwise - go Firewire

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.