PDA

View Full Version : PowerBook Vs. MacBook Advice

danny_boy
Feb 9, 2009, 03:52 PM
Hi There,

I have a 15" 1.67MHz 1GB RAM PowerBook running leopard which I have had for quite a few years now. It served me well at University and I now feel it's time to upgrade. It's in pristine condition and my Bro has offered me 400 for it. Is this a good price? I'm just finding it a little slugish for some tasks.

I have my eye on a entry level MacBook, one of the aluminum ones. Budget is tight a bigger HDD and memory I can add at a later date. Is this a wise purchase coming from my now dated PowerBook? The machine will be for: Travel, Web, E-Mail, Photo's, Music and DTP.

I'm aware the new MacBook won't have firewire a tall or an illuminated keyboard on the entry level model. I do like the illuminated keyboard but I could live without it. Mind you I am typing this from my PB in a dark room!

Will I miss the PB with it's larger screen, illuminated keyboard and all round solid build quality? What are the new MacBook's like in terms of build quality and screens?

Thanks in advanced

Dan

hexagon
Feb 10, 2009, 04:32 AM
Build quality is excellent. Easily the most solid notebook I've ever used.

In terms of display, I think it's the same as the original Macbook, except it's LED backlit. That means that if you're using it for general use/web surfing it should be fine.

Photography and other types of activity that depend on display accuracy/quality? It will annoy you.